New engine for Autocar Zed!!!!

Digsy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a matter of interest, and out of all the Zed owners on this forum, how many can report they have or consider to have a high oil consumption, my current Zed has done about a 1000 miles over the last 3 weeks or so and I don't seem to have used any?

Just as a matter of interest, and out of all the Zed owners on this forum, how many can report they have or consider to have a high oil consumption, my current Zed has done about a 1000 miles over the last 3 weeks or so and I don't seem to have used any?

But the thing to remember here is the fact that this problem only seems to affect rev-up engine owners, ie GT4 and MY06 owners. Mine is not that bad but i have had to top up now and again. :thumbs:

I have a new MY06, bought it in May '07 and I stuck in 2 litres on 2000 miles as the dip stick was on the low level mark - I am sure it needs more as I am now on 2800 miles but I have not had the chance to check as whereI park the car is not level - I can tell you this - if it needs more I will be dropping the car off to the dealer for them to sort out and I wont be taking sh*t from them like the last time (paintwork).

I have a new MY06, bought it in May '07 and I stuck in 2 litres on 2000 miles as the dip stick was on the low level mark - I am sure it needs more as I am now on 2800 miles but I have not had the chance to check as whereI park the car is not level - I can tell you this - if it needs more I will be dropping the car off to Marshalls for them to sort out and I wont be taking sh*t from them like the last time (paintwork).

2 Litres in 2000 miles :scare:

Just spent the morning reading this thread :scare:

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232332

Makes interesting reading.....Nissan are supposed to be working on a fix, maybe a ecm reflash...something to do with the different variable valve timing on the rev-up engine causing a build up of pressure witch causes oil to blow by the inlet/exhaust valves......then something about a problem with the pcv valve....then something about the different pistons in the rev-up engine. One state in America had 27 engine changes!!! :scare: Then something about a fix in June and a possible TSB.

God knows :wacko:

It does make interesting reading and I have to agree there does seem to be a problem, I rechecked my oil level again yesterday and did it a few times just to make sure of the reading and mine is about an eigth of an inch from the top mark, I have done just over a 1000 miles since I picked this car up when it had had an P2 service so I am assuming that it was at the max position, so a weekly level check is going to be a must.

Guest prescience
Just spent the morning reading this thread :scare:

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232332

Makes interesting reading.....Nissan are supposed to be working on a fix, maybe a ecm reflash...something to do with the different variable valve timing on the rev-up engine causing a build up of pressure witch causes oil to blow by the inlet/exhaust valves......then something about a problem with the pcv valve....then something about the different pistons in the rev-up engine. One state in America had 27 engine changes!!! :scare: Then something about a fix in June and a possible TSB.

God knows :wacko:

Interesting :thumbs: if they do have to adjust the VVT, power WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY drop - not much of a power advantage for an MY06 then :thumbdown:

Guest prescience

I have a new MY06, bought it in May '07 and I stuck in 2 litres on 2000 miles as the dip stick was on the low level mark - I am sure it needs more as I am now on 2800 miles but I have not had the chance to check as whereI park the car is not level - I can tell you this - if it needs more I will be dropping the car off to the dealer for them to sort out and I wont be taking sh*t from them like the last time (paintwork).

Just print out the 51 page thread that beavis and posted and drop it into the Service Managers lap - that should focus his attention ;)

I must confess if it were me (which it isn't) and I suspected I had this problem, I'd get onto an oil consumption test by the dealer and I damned well make sure it failed that test ;)

Just print out the 51 page thread that beavis and posted and drop it into the Service Managers lap - that should focus his attention ;)

I must confess if it were me (which it isn't) and I suspected I had this problem, I'd get onto an oil consumption test by the dealer and I damned well make sure it failed that test ;)

I will be monitoring my oil level closely, though to be honest it does not seem to be consuming as much now as it did. Changed to Amsoil at the last service. But will be keeping an eye on the situation in America. But with the situation with the Autocar Zed and this 51 page thread on www.my350z.com there does appear to be something amiss. :dry:

Guest prescience
Out of interest, what did Nissan do with the the MY06 engine to increase power over the MY03 engine?

Quite a lot for 20Hp :wacko:

- exhaust variable valve timing (in addition to intake)

- revised cams

- revised intake and plenum

- new pistons, uprated con bolts

- remapping etc etc

Out of interest, what did Nissan do with the the MY06 engine to increase power over the MY03 engine?

- revised cams

- remapping etc etc

you forgot those weak piston rings for more oil consumption :blush:

- revised cams

- remapping etc etc

you forgot those weak piston rings for more oil consumption :blush:

A couple of guys who have had replacement engines in the states are said to have had a hand built engine with modded pistons and rings over the standard rev-up engine!!Like i said the 51 page thread makes interesting reading. :headhurt: