buying a used car

Ok guys,im gonna need a little help from all of you,please. Im thinking about buying a fairly new 350z convertable for my girlfriend,and I do not know anything about these cars at all. She likes them and they seem like a nice car. I would like to buy a newer car like a 2007 or 8 with low mileage. Is there anything I stay away from or look for that would sway me when making a decision? At what point mileage wise are there expensive repairs or PM work that will need to be done ? Also,I am 6.1 and weigh 275 pounds,I drive a 2002 SL500 Mercedes and its plenty big inside for me,but is this car large enough inside for me? I havent even sat in or driven one yet. All comments good or bad will be appreciated. Thanks

pre 06 lower tax :thumbs:

Indeed, but then you wouldnt have the 313 engine.

Mines an 07 convertible. Looking on autotrader there are a few out there at dealers, varying in price and spec. No major problems from what ive seen. Only thing I noticed was rear visibility with the roof up is next to useless. Cant see a thing, so a lot of these cars have reversing sensors fitted which were not a Nissan option, but an option some dealers offered themselves.

Prices in theory should be starting to drop with the winter months approaching, but from my experience with dealers they will rather hang themselves than offer you any discount on the forecourt price.

In general look out for the expensive bits - new set of tyres will be 500quid at least. New brake pads... they are about the £250 mark if you can fit them yourself. I found my car at 30k needed both - although these are dependent upon how the car has been driven. Service wise, the P2 or P3 are the big ones (actually the same service for the 350z), so buying one which has just had that will give you 20k before another big service is needed - saving you some cash.

Spec wise, you`ll probably find with the later cars they had the Rays wheels on them which look nice, and all the newer convertibles I saw had the GT pack (leather seats, cruise control & bose stereo). Both are a plus point when selling.

Roof is known for having the odd problem - like most convertibles. Key thing is to make sure it goes down nice and smoothly. When its very cold sometimes it will stick half way. Then you need to go forward / back to clear it. Otherwise not much else.

Running costs... Roadtax on the post 2006 cars is £430 a year. MPG depends on how driven, but every day use I get about 25mpg. Insurance is a killer although depends on where you live. This cost me 3 times the price of a Golf TDI and more than a similar BMW M3 or Porsche Boxster.

All in all not a bad car. As for your size, id suggest trying one out and see how you get on.