When to replace brakes.

MK-Ultra

Hello people, I'm just looking for some advice. I have used the search but it didn't bring anything up, maybe I missed it.

I would like to know how much is the recommended minimum amount of pad and disk depth before they should be changed? I have a UK HR model with brembo all round.

Many thanks, Lionel.

I usually wait until I cant see any meat left on the pads when I look at them on the car. I usually keep an eye on them once they start looking low and buy the replacements in ready, so when I need to change its just a 30minute job.

When I bought my car, the Nissan garage advised me I only had about 1000miles left on my pads. 10k miles later I noticed a very slightly different noise when I braked - not a grinding, more like a little rubbing. So, I swapped them out and one of the front ones was just about on the metal.

Discs - depends on how much of a lip there is on them or how scored they are. You can see this just by looking. My discs have done 33k now and still look fine, so I didnt bother replacing them.

Recomended minimum disc thickness is 28mm front and 20.2mm rear for Brembo brakes.

Pads should be changed at around minimum of 2/4 mm however pads should also be changed if they start to break up or crack and you would have to remove the pad to determine this.

Also on the rear the inner pad wears down much quicker than the outside one, so you will have to remove the wheel for a proper inspection.

Alex :)

Thanks for the quick replys.

The fronts are looking a little low so i'll check the depth properly when I get home. The rears are looking good, at least on the outside might check the inside at the weekend.

Alex, this might be a silly question but when you gave the depth of the disks is that across the entire disk, or just one side i.e the inner or outer half of it?

Many thanks, Lionel.

Thanks for the quick replys.

The fronts are looking a little low so i'll check the depth properly when I get home. The rears are looking good, at least on the outside might check the inside at the weekend.

Alex, this might be a silly question but when you gave the depth of the disks is that across the entire disk, or just one side i.e the inner or outer half of it?

Many thanks, Lionel.

The sizes quoted are the minimum thickness :thumbs: