Police force given speed ticket

stevie_350z

The Rotherham Boys in Blue continue to get away with it! Come on Ming, sort your lads out :)

http://community.channel4.com/eve/forum ... 9350050296

The chief constable is a national spokesman on roads policing

A police chief has taken himself to court after a force vehicle was caught by a speed camera.

South Yorkshire Police Chief Constable Meredydd Hughes pleaded guilty on behalf of the force to failing to supply the driver's identity.

The force was fined £500 by magistrates in Rotherham on Thursday.

================================================

The court heard "diligent inquiries" failed to track down the driver of the car, which was caught travelling at 47mph in a 40mph zone in June.

Yer officer you tried your hardest Big Grin

================================================

Mr Hughes, who is head of road policing for the Association of Chief Police Officers, pleaded guilty by letter to failing to give the identity of the driver who was guilty of speeding and did not appear in court.

'Rules broken'

After the hearing, he said: "There are a comparatively few number of cases each year where we cannot establish the driver of what is often a hire car being used by officers enquiring into murders and other serious incidents.

"In the enthusiasm to follow up these inquiries, it would appear that our own internal rules about log books have not been complied with.

"We are looking at ways of ensuring that those who have the responsibility in every district or department for the correct use of police vehicles will be held accountable in future by the courts."

Last month, a South Yorkshire officer was cleared of speeding on his way to pick up a Chinese takeaway after being caught by a camera on the same road.

Pc Stephen Akrill, 41, was caught by the speed camera driving a police Land Rover at 48mph in a 40mph zone. But he said he was on his way to an accident and magistrates, who heard the officer had ordered the takeaway in advance, cleared him.

Just as a bit of info so that you can see some of the potential problems there are in identifying the driver of a vehicle several days or weeks after it was driven heres a little insode picture.

Briefing is over and the drivers go to get the panda cars. Not every car is set to a beat as there are some in for service, some broken and some still out in use by the overlap shift.

The driver grabs what he can and heads out to check his vehicle and fill in the log book when as he walks to his car the radio goes and sends him to an 'IMMEDIATE'. If you were the person wanting an officer immediately - burglary in progress, shoplifter stealing you handbag etc do you want that officer to stop and fill in the book, check his car, check the mileage and then come out

or

Just get a bleedin move on?

EXACTLY

The officer then does a couple more jobs and maybe about lunch time remembers to fill in the book. Whilst he is having his meal he loans the car out to an officer working another beat as he has a short enquiry to complete - ten minutes and three miles - and then after his meal his partner drives the car!.

This happens to almost every panda car every day.

The patrol officers ALWAYS have an enormous list of jobs to go to each time they come on duty and spend all day juggling resources to get to as many of them as they can.

If during the above NORMAL shift a camera is tripped then it wolud be difficult the next day let alone several weeks later to ascertain the actual driver.

Just a little insight into the hectic life of a patrol car driver.

Ming the Considered (Thank god I am no longer one of the above and have the grace to investigate and go proactive)

Just as a bit of info so that you can see some of the potential problems there are in identifying the driver of a vehicle several days or weeks after it was driven heres a little insode picture.

Briefing is over and the drivers go to get the panda cars. Not every car is set to a beat as there are some in for service, some broken and some still out in use by the overlap shift.

The driver grabs what he can and heads out to check his vehicle and fill in the log book when as he walks to his car the radio goes and sends him to an 'IMMEDIATE'. If you were the person wanting an officer immediately - burglary in progress, shoplifter stealing you handbag etc do you want that officer to stop and fill in the book, check his car, check the mileage and then come out

or

EXACTLY

The officer then does a couple more jobs and maybe about lunch time remembers to fill in the book. Whilst he is having his meal he loans the car out to an officer working another beat as he has a short enquiry to complete - ten minutes and three miles - and then after his meal his partner drives the car!.

The patrol officers ALWAYS have an enormous list of jobs to go to each time they come on duty and spend all day juggling resources to get to as many of them as they can.

If during the above NORMAL shift a camera is tripped then it wolud be difficult the next day let alone several weeks later to ascertain the actual driver.

Ming the Considered (Thank god I am no longer one of the above and have the grace to investigate and go proactive)

Didn't neil and christine hamilton try to use this as a defence? They were caught on the m4 I think, and they didn't get away with it.

I would think that the coppers would be honest enough to hold their hand up and say who was driving - is that too much to ask?

Surely there are regular recorded radio communications between the car and base which could establish this?

Possibly but not necessarily. They keep communications 30 days I think and then they are recorded over so it might be a time thing?

Believe it or not there is often substantial periods of ime when a driver of a car doeas not make radio communications. i have been out on enquiries most of the day and other than book on I have not had a need to use the radio. Both my partner and I drove the vehicle though.

Ming the HONEST

or

EXACTLY

Didn't neil and christine hamilton try to use this as a defence? They were caught on the m4 I think, and they didn't get away with it.

I would think that the coppers would be honest enough to hold their hand up and say who was driving - is that too much to ask?

You would be surprised how often the fact that the driver cannot be ascertained has resulted in a prosecution being dropped. It is up to the prosecution to prove an offence not for the defence to disprove it.

I know of at least one case where a car smashed into a wall and the officer turned up to find TWO drunks. When asked who was driving both pointed to the other.

No prosecution as the could not prove BEYOND ALL REASONABLE DOUBT who was driving.

As for the honesty thing I agree you would hope that they would put their hand up and do the honest thing IF THEY REALISED.

Ming the Helpful