Di-noc 'ing my door leccy bits - advice/help

Madhatter

Hi All

I fancy having a go at di-noc 'ing my door leccy bits as they look tatty as ever! If it works then I'll do a few more bits (like b-pillars, struct brace cover, etc.).

However having not done it before I was wondering if anyone else had and would share some knowledge on the topic. Fear not I'll never (nor want to) go into mass market so if any of the pros want to help I'd be grateful :D

Couple of queries - do I need to really stretch the di-noc over the bits? do I really need to heat gun if I've got enough vinyl?

Finally with the door bits being a bit "rubbery" do I need to sand these down first or can I apply the vinyl straight to these after giving a good clean with alcohol wipes or similar?

Sorry there is so many questions!

I have been having a go at this sort of thing as well. Make sure you have ordered plenty so if you make mistakes you have no fear of just ripping it off and starting again. I managed to do the drivers door grab quite easily, just be aware if you have paint coming off, even if there is only a half mm edge to it the vinyl will show it up. So surface has to be flat and utterly clean (even a small speck of dust will cause a bump which will show up) to make sure a nice flat surface to the wrap.

A good part to practice on is the ashtray, just whip that out and try wrap the top, you will get a nice easy success out of that and get used to handling the vinyl. I managed to wrap the bottom half of my centre console and given I am a complete no-hoper at practical stuff shows it is quite doable even for the amateur.

I just used a hair dryer on mine, it helps to soften the vinyl but also I presume helps with adhesion.

Oh and don't just default to 3M, Hexis do some fantastic vinyl options and by all accounts is much easier to use.

anybody got any good youtube videos for wraping?

no but i was tempted to write one.

You should do it, brand it Rtcustomz :thumbs: I want to wrap alot of stuff but really dont want to screw it up.

just setup a business youtube channel... TheRTCustomZ

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRTCustomZ

will start doing some videos soon. :thumbs:

anybody got any good youtube videos for wraping?

no but i was tempted to write one.

You should do it, brand it Rtcustomz :thumbs: I want to wrap alot of stuff but really dont want to screw it up.

just setup a business youtube channel... TheRTCustomZ

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRTCustomZ

will start doing some videos soon. :thumbs:

:clap: Free advertising, support and youtube integrates with facebook and all other sites nicely too. Cant wait.

A few tips though

1. dont have a 10min intro with your favorite song. annoys the hell out of me.

2. write down or script what you are going to say as alot of the time people are a mess when talking.

3. have a good tripod or camera man with good lighting no one likes a dim video.

4. talk clearly

5. make it in HD

Sorry if thats alot but I hate videos which dont conform to these rules.

A few tips though

1. dont have a 10min intro with your favorite song. annoys the hell out of me. I hate that too; its unlikely any of my video's will have music; they supposed to be informative

2. write down or script what you are going to say as alot of the time people are a mess when talking.Hopefully being a teacher it should be pretty consise; i do demos everyday and they are unscripted. plus i will edit the videos, to avoid long bits which are un benificial

3. have a good tripod or camera man with good lighting no one likes a dim video. don't own a tripod yet; but was going to try and mount it so that its a POV type video

4. talk clearly MY wife says i mumble at home, but at work i tend to be pretty clear, so i'll do it in work mode

5. make it in HD Sadly my camer is not HD, but maybe in the future

Sorry if thats alot but I hate videos which dont conform to these rules.

I did mine after I wasn't happy with ones that I purchased already wrapped.

For the drivers side handle I cut a T shaped piece and dropped in in hot , and then wrapped the rest to cover the edges.

My advice i to keep it all warm, and don't make cuts to wrap it round anything. Just heat and stretch it and it will go.

I'll get some pics up soon.