Roadster soft top wont close

maisy2007

Hi Guys

I am very much in love with my z until Sunday when I came to close my roof and put away ... the soft top closed but the cover stayed upright !!! I got the AA out and we managed to release the cover and close that to its correct position, but the soft top has locked onto the closure hook but wont seal so I have a gap all around the rear seal, dreading the dealers quotes just wondered if any one has any ideas on this please.

Welcome to my world. :dry:

This is my personal opinion. If you take it to a delaers you will be hit with a big bill. From my experience they will throw sensors and motors at it until it works. They did that to me and it still didnt work.

My advice is as follow.

Get someone to help you. Pick a day when it wont rain. Open the roof as normal. If it stops in one particular position gently help it along. When the mechanism is make sure its clean and then apply silicon grease.

Make sure the engine is running as this may drain the battery.

Then open and close the roof several times, I normally do it at least half a dozen including 3 or 4 when it is moving freely. Listen carefully to see when you get noises such as release of the rear catch when opening.

Hopefully this will fix it. If not post up and we can try some other checks.

This was a pretty rare problem until last winter when it popped up a few times.

Welcome to my world. :dry:

Hi Martin thanks for this but the roof won't do anything I can't open it with the button at all, manually closed the cover and lowered the soft top but can't push it any further manually ....

Then open and close the roof several times, I normally do it at least half a dozen including 3 or 4 when it is moving freely. Listen carefully to see when you get noises such as release of the rear catch when opening.

Hopefully this will fix it. If not post up and we can try some other checks.

This was a pretty rare problem until last winter when it popped up a few times.

hi Martin thanks for this but can't open the roof with the button we closed the cover manually ok and pulled the soft top in to position it just won't lock down Any further :(

They sometimes jam in one position, work the back bit by hand around the rear window. Let me know how that gets on. Mine stops in some very random positions. Once the back is down the catch should grab and lock it. Where are you btw way.

Hi martin we are in Leicester, Ill give that a go; took it out yesteday but with the rain getting worried about the gap. Ill let you know how we get on, cheers for now.

They sometimes jam in one position, work the back bit by hand around the rear window. Let me know how that gets on. Mine stops in some very random positions. Once the back is down the catch should grab and lock it. Where are you btw way.

Hi martin we are in Leicester, Ill give that a go; took it out yesteday but with the rain getting worried about the gap. Ill let you know how we get on, cheers for now.

Hi there

Tried to push the soft top down but still no joy, when push the button nothing happens at all so I am gonna get an auto electrician out to check for any wiring - relay fault etc ...... it's not been out of the Garage for a week now :(

Hmmm you would have thought that pressing the button would have at least made it try to open the roof unless a fuse has blown.

Mine had a problem when very cold that the roof would get about 50% through its way down then stick. Pressing button to close it slightly, then back to open again resolved it. Apparently common problem and nissan doesnt recommend putting roof down when its cold!

Nissan themselves had a problem with my roof when i took it back to have them look at the roof trim under the hood. I dont know what they did but the hood would not close or open at all. They spent a day or so trying to fix it, which they did sucessfully and told me it was "mis-alligned". So I dont know what they did to break it and subsequently fix it.

If you search on google you can find several reports from a couple of people on the web who have had problems with motors, but in general there isnt much out there from people who have had problems with the roofs. So either they are pretty reliable, or those people just havent been bothered to post.