Fed up with my rattly Japspeed K2 exhaust.

Daze

Really want to finally sort this out, been a problem for a while now.

I have Japspeed decats & y-pipe & full K2 catback, and I've known for a while that the tailpipes rattle like hell. I've got a mate to weld them up (outer & inner pipes rattle it seems) which helped a bit, but it's still a bit crappy. :dry:

So anyway, what's my options? I don't really want to replace the entire system since its expensive to do so, and I don't think the rest of the system has any problems - its just the tailpipes I think.

I figure 3 options...

1, Find another back-box section that fits ?? If any?

2, Buy this, cut it in half, weld & replace the tailpipes completely.

u027618rlarge.jpg

3. Buy some of this, don't have a back-box at all. Probably be too loud though? :lol:

ss%20straight.jpg

Suggestions? B)

If your mate has welded up the tail pipes, and it still rattles, then surely the problem lies elsewhere within the exhaust.

Maybe you have a loose baffle that is rattling around :shrug:

Option 2 would look shat :blush:

Option 3 would burst your ear drums :lol:

Option 1 best option IMO. :thumbs:

Hi, I recently bought a Japspeed back box and middle section from a guy for £100 because the rattling tail pipe was driving him mad! It's like new. The issue seems to be the insert in the tail pipe that is tacked by weld on the bit furthest in and relies on the rolled flange on the outer end to hold it in place. It was this rolled flange on mine that was causing the inner part to rattle, Three discreet tacks of stainless weld between the outer and inner parts and a polish and it's fine. Did both just to be sure.

N.B. Any welding needs to be stainless, ideally TIG otherwise you will get rusting on the weld.

Hope this helps and you get it sorted.

Hmm thanks for the replies people.

I am still fairly convinced its the tailpipes that rattle, as ^ Leonk said, its to do with the insert or something. And when we tried to weld them, we found them to be quite inaccessible, so could only really tack them back in place by the ends.

I've done some reading & looking no YouTube for "straight pipes" 350z noise, and it doesn't sound all that loud when on idle. I don't mind about it being a tad loud while driving, but just worried on idle and slow speed it would be too loud for the neighbours, etc.

Has anyone got any real-life experience with straight pipes on a 350? Also, how does it affect performance? I have straight pipes on my s13 drift car, but because that it a turbo, it doesn't affect performance. I would guess the 350 rely's on some back-pressure because its NA?

Hmm, £374 over on CS I see.

http://cougarstore.co.uk/index.php?main ... ducts_id=2

Just unsure if I want to pay that much if the only problem I have with my system is a tailpipe rattle.

I've contacted a company near to where I live who make custom exhausts to get a quote for Y-pipe back, they did a custom cat-back for my friends Honda s2000 for £200, so if it works out cheaper I'll get that done (and of course pics to show you guys when its done!)

:)

Hmmm, well that was my option 2 ^^ above, using the K2 backbox, but with chopping & replacing just the tailpipes.

But looking at the design of the K2 backbox, it doesn't give much room for changes/modifications, so might just do away with it, then make up my own system. I could even sell the K2 system and make some money back ... ?? :)

Now's the question - what size tailpipe? I haven't measured, but the K2 is 3" I believe? And that Scorpion says its 4" !! What does the Scorpion look like fitted?

• 4 weeks later...

:thumbs:

Hmmm, well that was my option 2 ^^ above, using the K2 backbox, but with chopping & replacing just the tailpipes.

But looking at the design of the K2 backbox, it doesn't give much room for changes/modifications, so might just do away with it, then make up my own system. I could even sell the K2 system and make some money back ... ?? :)

Now's the question - what size tailpipe? I haven't measured, but the K2 is 3" I believe? And that Scorpion says its 4" !! What does the Scorpion look like fitted?

Problem I found with the Japspeed apart from poor fitment issues is that the Y pipe and diameter bore size is basically the same as OEM, take the Y-pipe for instance, it is advertised as a direct bolt on replacement and has the same bore as the OEM, so any gains are minimal. Try and go for a decent 3" bore size throughout the exhaust, tailpipes should be 4". I think K2 tailpipe is 4" but Japspeed Y-pipe bore is 2.5" like OEM, the Scorpion backbox looks very much OEM so that could be a good thing for most people (should be a few Scorpion threads on here).

I had a rattle in my K2 twin pipes - fixed originally by Mark at Abbey br drilling through (from underneath)

post-5330-135011913234_thumb.jpg

He put a self-tapper in, which I have subsequently changed for a nicer stainless Countersunk head machine screw, but either way - it stopped the rattle in the slash-cut pipe

Not sure if yours is rattling in the same place - but this fixed mine.

Cheers Ian,

That's what i was trying to say in my earlier post. Managed to get a local company JP Exhausts ( custom stainless fabricators ) to put three little tacks of tig weld on mine, and perfect now. Would only take a fiver for doing it as well.

Great place, had a gorgeous E type in there having a stainless exhaust fitted,

I've actually got this all sorted now guys.

I have gone for a single exit system with a box. Cost me a grand total of £60 to get it made up, and looks real good I think.

Photo%2026-09-2011%2007%2047%2027%20PM.jpg

Photo%2027-09-2011%2012%2014%2019%20PM.jpg

And the noise... :cloud9: I'll get a video & proper photos soon. B) well happy with it.