Rough Idle and lights :-( :,-(

Dblock

Hi guys could use some help please.

Basically I got to work and it starting doing a funny idle sort of thing, I turned it off and turned the car on and it seemed fine. Weird. Then as I was heading home it seemed fine. I got to the traffic lights after about 15mins of driving and it started doing that rough idle thing again and my CEL, TSC OFF and SLIP lights all came on. Turned it off and on but it was still the same.

Now Ive pulled the codes p0350 which is P0350 Ignition Coil Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction and p0550 which is P0550 - Power Steering Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction.

Now im taking the p0350 is to do with coil packs? If so should I just replace them until it stops going funny? Ive read that they can go funny when hot and work ok when cold?

and the P0550 what can I do about this one? Should I just change the power steering sensor?

Any help will be appreciated. I will before anyone says :pmzmanalex: or if someone can show him this thread I would be thankful.

If there is anyone local who can help that would be great as I need my car to get to work and without it, its a real real pain as I work about 20miles away and work late.

I had all this a 18 months ago...it all seemed to be a bit of a disaster...garages confirmed the codes and said could be this that and another and could cost several days labour..etc etc etc. Anyways I investigated and to cut a long story short found a small bit of leaf wraped round the MAF sensor...... this I removed and no more lights and good smooth idle. I think the previous owner must of quickly removed the air filter to bang out the dust etc and inadvertantly allowed a bit of leaf to get on the MAF sensor...anyways as its so easy to get to and clean its worth a try. Mines been perfect ever since...Good luck :thumbs:

Cheers, I do have a pretty big sound system but the first time it did it, it was just on normal volume. The volt metre looks fine too though but il whip out the multimetre just incase.

Il check the maf too thanks :thumbs:

I do get the feeling it was missfiring though :thumbdown: I think il swap the coil packs one at a time to get it hot and see if it does it again. Il still check battery and maf though just incase.

Looks like a fiddely job :headhurt:

you need to check if its retaining the charge, not just that its being charged. Thats where the battery fails :)

It's doing that. I can tell from the volt gauge being at 12v and I had a failing jdm battery before this one (new kne about months old) and you could hear it not wanting to start. Plus it seems to do it when the car is hot and has been driven for abit.

I had a really rough idle on my Z, it even cut out a few times when it was left idling. Turned out to be some oil on the maf sensor

I will be cleaning the maf to make sure but the p0350 code indicates a coil/ignition failure. I have heard some coil packs once warm start cutting out. I started my car today and it was fine but if I drove it around and got it hot it might do the same thing. Hopefully on Wednesday Il be cleaning my MAF, checking battery and then replacing one by one the coilpacks.

Mine had codes like that too including miss fire left bank, lean running, and communication failure..etc etc..and it was a leaf on the maf

Hmm all that from a leaf! I'm going up clean the maf on my day off. Any tips? I have maf cleaner spray. Also how did a leaf get up there :lol: ?

Ricky unfortunately I don't know anyone with a Jobd reader. I might get one for myself if they are reasonable enough.

• 2 weeks later...