Vortech - Exhaust Options and Install Cost

Guest prescience

Guest prescience

Just to give my opinion on the issues raised in the locked ForSale Vortech rev-up thread

1. IMO a higher flow than stock but NOT true dual is preferred for supercharging. This increases the overall flow at high revs but maintains sufficient back pressure at low revs to help with low down torque.

Low down torque is not a major issue with TT, and back pressure is indeed bad news here, so it's best to maximise flow and minimise back pressure with a true dual. There's no need IMO to go overboard with anything larger than a 2.5" true dual for TT unless you are into super-high boost with a built motor. Jon, do you agree with this?

2. 10 hours labour or thereabouts with about 1 hours rolling road is what is required. At Abbey that equates to about £800. Bear in mind, Abbey and other similar installers will charge you a lot of hours to install gauges for some reason - not sure why, but they will :thumbdown:

Yeah, I'd agree with that Dorian.

Although with turbo's the bigger the pipe diameter the better really, zero back pressure is the aim. Although, 2.5" is plenty for lower boost applications.

True dual isnt essential for superchargers, as stated.

Best get the advice in as quick as possible, as this thread will no doubt get locked. :yawn:

Just to give my opinion on the issues raised in the locked ForSale Vortech rev-up thread

1. IMO a higher flow than stock but NOT true dual is preferred for supercharging. This increases the overall flow at high revs but maintains sufficient back pressure at low revs to help with low down torque.

Low down torque is not a major issue with TT, and back pressure is indeed bad news here, so it's best to maximise flow and minimise back pressure with a true dual. There's no need IMO to go overboard with anything larger than a 2.5" true dual for TT unless you are into super-high boost with a built motor. Jon, do you agree with this?

2. 10 hours labour or thereabouts with about 1 hours rolling road is what is required. At Abbey that equates to about £800. Bear in mind, Abbey and other similar installers will charge you a lot of hours to install gauges for some reason - not sure why, but they will :thumbdown:

Is the DC zorst a good combo with the SC?

Is the price for the SC a fair one or not?

Guest prescience

I have checked out the link and note that it is for a G35. IIRC the G FMU has a different pressure rise rating compared to the Z one is 7:1 and the other is 8:1 I think. I think this is a simple change to make but you would need to speak to Vortech on ask on my350Z.

Come to think of it, you'd need to check that the SS Box uses the same map for Z vs G - I suspect not.

Personally, I would go cautiously

Guest prescience

Apparently it was only the older kits which had a different FMU set-up for G vs Z. They have now standardised (according to Booger - and he will know) at 6:1 .... see here

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread. ... ost2723574

Yes, Abbey did mine and no tuning is required generally.

However, mine had a corrupt map :rant: and they had one hell of a job getting their laptop talking to the SS box when they tried. I had told them several times that they needed a serial EXTENSION cable for the job since standard serial cables usually swap pins 2 and 3 and will not communicate. Make sure if you go there and want it tuned you get both types of cables for them :dry:

Guest prescience
By tuned how do you mean, past the 400 mark or up to?

Stock map, Voretch says, delivers 412 peak BHp at redline. I believe that is over inflated and 390-398 is about the range i.e. just less than 400. All the UK dynos I have seen support this - I adjusted my figures from Abbey down by 5% (i.e. fly == wheel + 12%) and that broguht me into that range.

To answer your question, the stock map is very rich at the top end running a high 9 or a low 10 AFR. You can quite safely tune that to low-mis 11s (even with the Z's compression ratio) and reckon to achieve an additional 30BHp or thereabouts.

Whether that is wise since you would be putting about 430 barake through a stock motor is debatable but since it is top end and torque is lower compared to TT, there is not the same risk as running that peak with TT IMO - lack of Vortech-related engine breakages worldwide supports this since you'd struggle to find a US guy who didn't tune the unit.

The SplitSec box, although older technology, is quite capable of running the Vortech at those power levels despite what anyone else would have you believe.