Vortech - Exhaust Options and Install Cost

Guest prescience

Dorians right, the split second box is a decent piece of kit.

Speaking to my builder/tuner, 9-11:1 is shockingly rich, alot of danger of washing the bores out with that kind of fuel in there. The yanks do tune their cars far too richly. Definitely a good idea to get a tune in there to get the maximum power/minimum risk out of your kit. ;)

Guest prescience

In terms of timing, the stock map in the Vortech is very odd but perhaps it's what keeps it safe?

Generally if you are going to pull timing (remove advance or add retard) you would normally peak that at the point where the motor is at it's greatest stress, which is at peak torque and not at peak Hp. Again generally you would pull your maximum timing at peak torque and gradually add a bit more advance from there to peak hp- depending on the torque curve.

The stock Vortech map pulls very little timing at peak torque but in fact pulls about 10 degrees at peak HP (redline) which is counter-intuitive, but hey who's to say Vortech are not correct, their reliability on the Z speaks for itself :0

Guest prescience
Isnt peak torque right up the rev range on that kit?

4750-5000 rpm, so compared to TT yes; I have checked the stock map and made an adjustment to the above post it is 10 degs at redline not 15. At peak torque it adds 1 deg, so the point is right :)

Why cant people just install this kit themselves if the stock vortech map is so good? I know someone on here is waiting for abbey motorsport to do theirs but, if its all plug and go with no REAL need for dyno tuning, its by far the best plug and play forced induction kit around.

The turbonetics kit is supposed to be bolt on, but there ecu re-flash hasnt been , shall we say, too reliable. . . . (but damn i love thier kit)

Jamie

The turbos develop so much more torque so much lower down the rev range.

The Vortech in comparison is very agricultural, its noisey, makes alot of dust and doesnt feel anywhere near as quick as the TT setup (even in standard form).

Dont get me wrong, the Vortech is a good bit of kit, and good value. But the APS kit is a different animal altogether, in terms of quality and how the car feels and drives.

You really have to rev the nuts of the Vortech to get any decent power, as it builds it in a linear fashion, peaking at the redline. I was never satisfied with its performance, thats why I changed to the TT setup.

But, you get what you pay for, and like I say, for 5k or so, you cant knock the Vortech.

Guest prescience

The above is fair comment I would say. But these days, with the blow-ups, the latest approach is to restrict APS TT boost to a measly 4psi, that's not worth it for eight grand or thereabouts IMO :)

The above is fair comment I would say. But these days, with the blow-ups, the latest approach is to restrict APS TT boost to a measly 4psi, that's not worth it for eight grand or thereabouts IMO :)

Only the GForce cars went bang, WRCT have been fine so far at the full fat 8psi of boost. We still dont know what caused those cars to go, although I have a few ideas as you know Dorian.

I never had any issues running 9 psi on my standard internals. I do think that the APS kit has had a bad rap for what is really an isolated installer issue.

Anyway, back on topic!

Guest prescience

I think this thread has stayed remarkably on-topic :scare:

well if that's what WRCT offer in terms of price performance, then it's a good deal for someone who does their homework :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...