Odd noise when cold

coldel

Another thread...this time mine makes a strange noise when cold, I put the car in gear and as I engage the clutch I hear what sounds like what I can only describe as a small bell ringing sound. Once the car is at 3000+ revs it seems to stop. Noise is getting slightly louder as the weeks pass. Doesn't affect performance, just one of those things once you notice it it drives you a bit mad.

Do you find that if you turn the aircon off (maybe its more to do with the lower revs than actual aircon...) that it gets slightly quieter and better? I used to have the same noise when starting the car in the winter, I haven't noticed it for a good few months now I guess it just went away! Would be interested to know though. My noise also got slightly ringier as I would bring the clutch up to pull away..

That's the one, it gets louder as I engage the gears with clutch fully out and pull away, then once traveling it seems fine. Not noted if I had the air con on or off really, will see if it makes difference tomorrow.

Mine does it as well and it's only noticeable when pulling away in 1st gear. Sounds a bit like a sonorous, metallic resonance in the gearbox. I put it down to the throwout bearing as it's pretty loud at idle on mine. I have to admit it's getting worse on mine of late as well though.

Well weirdly, as I say.. the warm weather seems to have cured it. It was only in the depths of winter I would get it on start up. Maybe it's just because I'm parked on the road (and not next to my house walls to resonate the sound when I start up) but I'm pretty sure I would've noticed at some point. I've all but forgotten it until I saw this thread.

It's probably nothing to worry about! And do you find Coldel, that it's such a strange noise to explain to mechanics/people? There don't seem to be any adequate adjectives to cover the whistly/ringy/whirry sound it makes. haha :blush:

Yeah its ridiculously hard to describe, actually as I drive in the morning I do listen intently trying to describe it in my head for when I post on here about it :lol:

Will be another thing for the old man to sort out during its service :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Little update...

...forgot to mention the noise to my dad on the weekend when he serviced it, but just this morning I went out and tried the car, noise gone :yahoo:

For the service we put in Denso Iridium spark plugs and changed to Gates branded drive belts. Anyway car cured, no more noise. So could have been a belt noise maybe?