Looking at a high mileage 350

Chap

Hey folks,

Going over to a dealer near Reading tomorrow to take a peek at a cheap looking 100k Zed. Apparently got 11 stamps in the service book, some or most of them from Nissan (last one was only about 2months and 2k miles ago... hmm I wonder why the last owner binned it after that?).

They offer a free service and MOT before handover, so might ask if they can change the plugs if not been done recently. Is there anything else to look out for?

Something on the private market with less mileage would be within budget but this is a) local and B) a good starting price with a dealer, subject to shameless haggling.

Got a link to it? Very much a buyers market at the moment, don't feel pressured to take the first one you see. There is also a thread on the site I think which lists what to look out for on 100k cars...

Spurs Dave has a cracking 100k car might be worth asking him what he thinks.

Cheers Coldel, most people that see / hear my car car cant believe its done 96k and i have a few friends on here that have spend significantly more than me on 'wear and tear' items leaving me more for mods :teeth:

One thing for sure is the engine is a cracker, mine was dyno'd well over stock at 90k with just an aftermarket exhaust + decent air filter :thumbs:

Well that was disappointing :bang:

Appreciate it has done a fair distance and is 8 years old, but it has had a hard life. Couple of things, some pants some not so.

a) Front bumper stone chipped to heck and then some.

B) Poor paint restoration on two half 5p sized chips on the bonnet - bubbled

c) Chips all over wheel arches, light scratches. Plastic trim under front bumper was coming away, been grounded quite badly by the look of it.

d) What looks like over spray on wing mirror arms (on plastic between mirror body and car). Plastic window sills on doors were loose, flexing up.

e) Paint flaking from between some panels - although all appeared in line so not sure what might have caused it. Paint flaking on the bonnet lip (inside and out). Fresh oil splashed over the engine too - although had only recently been serviced, why bother topping up the oil?

f) Interior was chipped/scratched in all sorts of nice places

g) Mixed tires - rears were Good Year 'EfficientGrip" and the fronts were "sport pro" or such that I've not heard of. Oh and some of the locking nuts were rusting.

Ultimately though - the salesman was pants. A good one could have discussed these points and asked further questions, he just wasn't interested. When I first asked to look at the car, his response was "Are you xyz?" (someone on their way up from London). I wasn't "I don't do test drives with it, I'd be out all day with it otherwise given what it is". Unlocks it from the office window and lets me crack on poking all over - totally ignored. Only gets interested when I go back in to look at docs and he realises I'm from out of town.

Shame as the service history looked good, 2 indies but at least 6 most recent ones were Nissan. I could have pressed for a test, or for them to at least start the engine but given the state of things above who knows what condition the mechanics really were.

I won't be going back in a hurry.

As someone who has had thoughts of selling up after over 3 years of ownership, I can confirm it is definately a buyers market. Vik is right - you were right to walk away. Do this as many times as you need too un til you get the one that is right for you. Its hard to walk away sometimes when you know you have the money there as excitement can take over you but it will be worth the wait when the right one comes along!