Where do I start!!

richcoad89

Hello all,

I've been reading alot into performance mods for my 350z.

I can't afford a vortech v-2 or a cosworth plenum, but I'd like to round the power up to around the 300bhp mark.

The section about mods here is brilliant and I have learnt alot from it, but on a budget where do I start?

Oh and here's the thing - I don't really want to change the noise it makes too much....

I was thinking headers, y-pipe/decat, 06 onwards airbox with high flow panel filter, plenum spacer and a remap to top them all off??

Can anyone add some experience to add or change what you think may be better. Also I need things to be fairly easy to do, I have access to tools and a ramp but can't rip the engine out for a stroker kit!

:D

Thanks!

if your sticking NA 300 is do'able but imho your better to put the money FI, the amount you end up spending to get to 300 you only need a bit more to go FI. but if this is your chosen route then this would be my list

Plenum spacer

decats

motordyne XYZ pipe with straight pipe. (has an interchangable cat for MOT)

decent exhaust

06+ airbox

decent panel filter

remap from someone like RStuning, abbey, or horsham

Headers will be very costly to have installed (anywhere from 8 - 12 hours labour) so unless you can do it yourself I'd leave them. Plenum spacer, de-cats, a Motordyne XYZ pipe fitted with a race cat, post 06 air box and finally an Uprev tune will give you a decent boost in performance. Might also want to consider the AMS light weight pulleys to help the car rev more freely.

Don't bother replacing the mid pipe or the exhaust back box as that will only add noise and not give you any more power.

Don't bother replacing the mid pipe or the exhaust back box as that will only add noise and not give you any more power.

have to disagree, an exhaust like the invidia q300 true dual was suprisingly quiet, the scorpion is pretty quiet.

just don't get a K1 or something of that design its an ear bleeder

I don't really want to change the noise it makes too much....

^^^^ this doesnt work with this \/\/\/\/

I was thinking headers, y-pipe/decat, 06 onwards airbox with high flow panel filter, plenum spacer

If you take the headers out of the equation those mods won't make that much difference to the sound, a bit deeper sounding and slightly more gruff under acceleration but nothing too crazy, especially if resonated decats are used.

have to disagree, an exhaust like the invidia q300 true dual was suprisingly quiet, the scorpion is pretty quiet.

just don't get a K1 or something of that design its an ear bleeder

Yes but they won't add any power though ;) The only gains to be made from exhausts are from replacing the OEM y pipe and cats. The rest of the exhaust system apparently flows perfectly well.

Thanks for all the advise guys! I don't mind a change in tone (as long as it's a nice one) it's just I drove a full hks system 350 which was just a little too loud for everyday driving! Yea FI would be good but mines a slightly high miler at 84k so i presume an engine rebuild would be on the cards for that!

Could I ask a noob question??

What's the revup mod?

I'd love to think that the latest 350z models (the 313bhp ones) were just an air box upgrade or something!! :lol: wishful thinking!

Thanks for all the advise guys! I don't mind a change in tone (as long as it's a nice one) it's just I drove a full hks system 350 which was just a little too loud for everyday driving! Yea FI would be good but mines a slightly high miler at 84k so i presume an engine rebuild would be on the cards for that!

Could I ask a noob question??

What's the revup mod?

I'd love to think that the latest 350z models (the 313bhp ones) were just an air box upgrade or something!! :lol: wishful thinking!

the 309 bhp ones were a vastly different engine, something like 80% different.