Rattly tappets? - additives?

Andy75

Hi guys,

Had a bit of a search around, but many threads seem to point to a possible ticky fuel pressure regulator (I think) rather than a mechanical ticking from the tappets, which I seem to have.

I took the Z to Nissan for a service (just to keep the book stamped up) and after a couple of weeks, I had the oil changed again to Motul 5W30 fully synth, as I didn't believe Nissan would have put anything "good" in there. So fast forward a month, and now she rattles well for less than a second or so when starting in the morning, then I can hear a fairly good tappet rattle.

Would an engine oil additive be any help? (Molyslip / Wynns / Slick 50 etc.) I have used them in different engines that were less complex than this one, and has helped with the noise. I know they are looked upon as a bit "snake oil", but has definitely helped in the past.

Should I change the oil to something a bit thicker? Note that even when the engine is fully warmed up, she still ticks a long merrily.

Z is a 53 plate UK spec with 60k on the clock, and a full Nissan SH.

All help / guidance / abuse greatly received! :byebye:

So are the Zed's tappets adjustable? (if it is them that has grown the rattle)

Yes, thay are adjustable, however it is engine out and cams off.

The gaps can be checked and the cam lobes inspected for wear with engine insitu by simply removing the cam covers.

Best to get a pro. to have a listen before you start ripping your motor apart. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

• 3 weeks later...

OK verdict is (from two seperate garages) it's a bit of cam noise. Seeing as I used 5w-30 motul last time, any recommendations for something a wee bit thicker to help out? not sure if 10w30 or 10w40 would be the right route in all honesty. Advice please! :byebye: