Million times better (or there abouts)

ChrisB

Seems obvious but, if anyone has experienced a persistent nagging (even slight) steering pull to either side or a less than smooth ride above ..say 80MPH.., then a few quid (well quite a few quid actually) spent servicing the suspension is worth doing in spadefuls.

Precious has had a 4 wheel alignment done at H-Dev recently, and as the rears weren't quite pointing in the right direction (both toeing slightly the wrong way), a small adjustment made a big difference to feel. Before adjustment, the steering wheel had to be held about 5-10º off centre, to go in a straightish line, and there was a tendency to head towards the left gutter. Along with that steering right felt a bit heavier than steering left. Continual steering offset and having to hold it there meant wander too.

The rear wheels were only off by a fraction, but steering and 4 wheel geometry is obviously keenly sensitive in these cars.

Secondly, at above 80, steering wobble got to a point where it couldn't have been rubbish Bucks roads anymore... Any faster and it was quite hoppity - skippity down the local by-pass. A trip to Blackboots in Chesham revealed a full 120-150g out on both the fronts (spec is 30g apparently!), and these are newish tyres too. How on Earth the previous owner didn't notice such abhorrence - or even got the wheels into that state - is beyond me. :doh:

So £99.99 (4 wheel align) + £15.60 (both fronts balanced) = much increased happiness. Precious is much more Fairlady and less old crone now. :yahoo:

As for the rears... they are probably too second hand to be worth balancing at this stage, so pair of Falken 452 XL maybe due to replace the old RE040's soon. Next credit card payment cycle maybe.

. . . but steering and 4 wheel geometry is obviously keenly sensitive in these cars.

I was really interested when I read this - I wasn't aware of any faults on my girl but I recently had BC coilovers fitted at Abbey and they checked and aligned all 4 wheels when they fitted them.

She feels much better, and you can take your hands off the wheel and she runs perfectly straight now where before she went slightly left. (Only slightly, and I didn't have to have the lock on the steering like you said)

Anyway - now she's running really true, so perhaps the Zed is particularly sensitive to wheel alignment?

I appear to be in the 'dentistry' phase of new-to-me zed owning.. :surrender:

Next up is application of Dynax S50 and Dynax UB to kill off the ferrous blemishes on the underside (only a few). She's pretty clean (JDM DOM 2003) - but £31 of protection can't hurt.

Not as glamorous as adding a supercharger (one dreams), but well worth it none the less.