bodywork advice

varley16

I purchsed a poiler not so long ago, and the finish isnt 100%, so i have lots of spare time and room, and want to prep, spray and fit it myself.

i know its not going to be easy, but im a technician so i find it easier to learn something like this, and being able to do it.

ive just spoken to a body tech, about doing it, but he sounded hungover and didnt catch what he was saying.

what i got so far is i need:

bumper filler (plastic filler)

hardener.

i think he said mix 10% hardener with the filler and put it on.

a tool to apply it.

sandpaper, unsure of grades.

primer

obviously spray to match colour.

and UV protected laquer.

Thats all heard from him, also is there any guides anywhere?

thanks, much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read guides which have helped me in a big way, first layer of colour just gone on, one thing my bodyshop guy has said is that I need a buffer, which I've got, but do I need to buff it after each colour layer, after the final colour layer or after the lacquer layer?

by all means prep it yourself but to be honest you will never really achieve a good finish with **** can spray paints and the cost needed to buy them you might aswell get it done at a paint shop.

however, if you have already bought the paint

I'm guessing you will be spaying a metallic so you wont be doing any sanding and polishing until after the lacquer has gone on.

your first coat should also have been a relatively dry coat, follow by at least 2 wet coats (look this up on the internet for explanation)

personally if you are **** canning lacquer on I would leave it at least a week to harden before flatting and polishing it off!

spoiler almost completed, last layer of paint went on yesterday, so smooth as ive spent hours preping it and smoothing each layer, purchased my last can of clear lacquer, sprayed it on.....out came primer!!!!! WTF!

so now ive removed most of it off the spoiler, but paintwork very patchy, so will have to rub it down again but not all the way back to primer, and respray and smooth and respray and smooth.

THANKS HALFORDS.

Took it back, and the manager said its because im doing it in cold weather, then he took the tin and said " oh, this is primer" so i said "look at the label"

Turns out its labelled wrong, so he took it off me, and said he has to send it to halfords as evidence, he agreed to supply me with lacquer and colour spray free of charge, but im afraid it needs 3 cans to spray and make 100% again.

complaint sent to halfords customer services.

weird thing is i tested it before i sprayed it, and it was clear, then went over the spoiler with my first quick coat of lacquer and then after about 5 seconds it came out primer, and i know in colder conditions it can come out abit cloudy, but this was pure primer....gutted.

But apart from that, im suprised out how well it WAS, and how smooth it WAS. at first i was unsure as i want it perfect, but ive had fun and have learnt alot by doing it myself, shame the last stage was messed up due to a wrong label, but will see what they say, but i expect my paint to be supplied again free of charge.

Another weird thing is that the manager didnt seem shocked, like he has seen this, he also said "ill have to send this one to them otherwise they wont believe me over the phone"

hmmmmm :shrug:

Are you using canned spray paint? I would seriously not go down this road as it will not last very long, and you will get a much better finish using a compressor and a spray gun. Also, if you are spraying it in cold weather you may get orange peel on the paint, so be careful.

Also when spraying on the lacquer, you are best to give it a few coats but make sure they are thin coats as lacquer is very heavy. Then use 1200 sand paper, then 1500 and for a even smoother finish 2000. Once done you can using a fine compounding paste which will bring the colour out and make it very glossy.