Satnav

adamsclan

It was a really simple job which is still half finished, but very easy to do and cost me nothing.

I had a Garmin Nuvi 205W (I think!) that I used to mount on the windscreen and figured I'd fit it in the cubby to keep things tidy. Brief guide:

First step was removing the centre dash console - I used a guide on here but it was very easy really.

Once the centre console was off the car I removed the cubby so I could work on it on the bench - although this could be done in the car

I threaded the satnav power cable (mini USB) up the dash trim on the left hand (passanger) side and through a gap in the base of the cubby, no need to drill any holes.

I then fixed the flat plastic disk that came with the satnav to the back of the cubby, it was previously stuck to the windscreen so I cleaned it off and double sided taped it to the cubby after working out the location it needed to be fitted.

I then put everything back together, fitted the standard Garmin suction mount to the disk mounted on the back of the cubby and clipped the satnav in place in the normal way.

The power for the unit is currently coming from the rear fag lighter terminal as my car is JDM. for UK cars you can use the front ciggarette power outlet in passanger footwell. I intend to hardwire it when I've got the dash out to fit my new head unit this month.

Hope that helps - any questions let me know!

My next step after I've hardwired it is to buy a new mount so the satnav unit sits slightly deeper in the cubby, ideally flush with the recess box thing. Then I'll cut a black plastic plate that hides the 'frame' of the satnav screen so it looks as OEM as possible :thumbs:

Might also change the satnav itself for a slightly larger screen with AV input for reverse camera, but that's another topic I feel!

Stuart