Bumper Materials

SteveW

Is fibreglass a good material for bumpers to be made from?

To me it seems a bit hard having virtually no give which would suggest it will crack easily?

The OE bumpers seem to be made of a weird resin type substance which has a fair bit of give.

Having been looking for a front bumper for a while and trying to make my mind up . . . . :bangin:

Many places offer GRP or FRP and the odd few offer urethane which doesn't seem at all like a good material for a bumper....

Interestingly the Nismo ones are Fibre Glass, maybe I'm just reading too much into the situation as always and over thinking . . . . . :lol:

Well, the original Bumpers are made from a sort of plastic which allow flex when under pressure (a curb), but fibreglass has little, to no tolerance and would just crack/snap.

However fibreglass is a very easy material to work with, and repair. All you need is the resin and the fibres and just glue it back basically. I guess plastic is kinda easy to work with, other than if it breaks.

Thanks folks, it seems I was right regarding the fibreglass. :headhurt:

Well I don't 'plan' on hitting things but there are always then times when some idiot makes you or reverses into you in a car park :rant:

Polyurethane sounds good :thumbs: I'll have a think.