Any Snowboarders out there?

tez162003

Hey Tez,

I'm 5,10, a goofy rider and an ex british instructor.

You've been given some fairly sound advice from all the guys and particularly Watshot! :thumbs:

Just to supplement with some of my own thoughts:

1) The manufacturing of ski clothes has really leapt forward in the past few years so you really don't need to spend a fortune to be covered. 10 yrs ago you could spend a small fortune on jacket and trousers and still need more layers than an onion to keep warm. these days you can go out and drop £200 on a jacket, £80 on trousers and be fine in a T-shirt in mid winter.

2) Boots are the most important as many have said. Watshots comparison to stiffness and suspension is pretty dead on.

3) If you're buying a board the same applies as to the above but is even more relevant. If you're a beginner (i.e scrape turns rather and full carving) there's no point in going out and buying a top freeride board. It will be too stiff, have a deep progressive sidecut and it will want to bite you. If anything jumping onto a board above yopur skill level is just going to make you progress slower and harm your confidence.

My advice would be to find out if you are really at a stage when you are able to carve (if you're unsure get an instructor to tell you as so many people think they're carving when they're not). If you can then there's no harm is dropping some dosh (£300 ish on a board), if not I'd probably either rent or buy second hand board that more tuned to learning. It's not a crime to not be Shaun White first time - just don't kid yourself. :p

Most resorts have good hire equiptment but some budget places such as Bulgaria and Andorra do keep their hire stuff a couple of seasons longer than they should and in these plaes it's best to opt for premium hire gear which typically just means it's this seasons.

4) Setup of the board is very important. I've seen so many times beginners going out with a duck stance setup. When I was teaching I spent more time with a screwdriver in my hand changing stupid beginner setups like this. As a gofy rider both feet should point forward, the back foot by approx 5 deg, the forward by 15deg

Good luck, have fun!

I was deeply disappointed when I turned out to be regular I wanted to be goofy :wacko:

I have Burton boots and they're good - are 32's made by Burton? I seem to remember there's one make that made by another. I started with a 168cm board which was about the biggest I could find in the hire shop (I'm 6' 7" :D). Over the past 4 years I've gradually shortened my board choice and most recently used a 158 - it's wasn't the quickest in terms of speed but was much more fun in turns. Finding boots in a UK 13 is quite a challenge in itself! Good luck, you can't beat the feeling of having the slope to yourself after getting the last lift up (especially after a Jagertee or two! :cloud9:

Pay a bit extra and get good boots, just hire the rest when you go abroad.

As for the indoor slopes I still find them fun (braehead glasgow) they give you that hit of fun when its not the season and if you look about/go at the right times you can get in for cheap! I learned the hard way by going to the indoor slopes then a 2week holiday in canada no lessons so hit my head a lot, now I always wear my helmet, these boots(mine :D ) http://www.freezeproshop.com/detail.jsp?pid=3002462&id=3002492&src=froogle are perfect, I started with hire stuff until I could turn with both edges then bought these which now do fine for everything (powder, ice, jumps and the odd box). Dont buy a board as it will get ruined while you learn mine cost me £5 and a pint from a m8 its only good for snowzone and climbing hills at the roadside in winter to mess with.

Im a great skier but a only a good snowboarder, wouldnt touch a set of skis again :lol: too much fun on a board!

Enjoy and always push yourself, its softish when you land anyway! (unless on ice :bang: )

Pay a bit extra and get good boots, just hire the rest when you go abroad.

I wouldn't hire it costs a fortune! Buy a board.

As said before get good boots, they are key. Badly fitting boots are dangerous! I borrowed a pair of boots the first time I went snowboarding, the board was too advanced for me as well. I went bombing down a slope on my first day, hit a bump, went flying and landed so awkwardly I tore the ligaments in my leading foot. Still determined not to ruin my holiday I hobbled out and rented some better fitting boots and carried on for the week.

If you're learning make sure you get some impact shorts, you're bound to hit the deck. As said before indoor slopes are boring unless you're big into snow parks, even then they can be somewhat limiting so get out to the alps.

As for destinations the last place I went to was St Anton in Austria, great apres as well but if you're new I wouldn't advise getting in the party spirit, sinking a few pints of the amazing white beer and heading down the slopes, you will take a tumble :lol: as you can see the bars on the slopes get pretty full at 5pm:

IMAG0603.jpg

I think I'm off to Ischgl in Austria next january, can't wait :D

• 1 month later...
James B have you been to Andorra? How did you find it compared to other resorts if so? Reason i ask is that i found Tignes far too busy on the slopes.

Sorry to go off topic here.

Sorry to be slow to reply Ruddles. Yes, as it happens Andorra was where I did my instructors.

I loved it! It's really a question of what you're looking for, how much you have to spend and when you go. Any resort is going to be busy in holidays and particularly half-term time is chaos. More than twice the price and everywhere is packed. Not my idea of fun!

Andorra is a lot LOT cheaper than Tignes. It's further south and not as high so it's not as snow sure but you can't forecast the weather 100%, there's always some luck. Andorran resorts (particualrly Pas and Soldeu) are almost entirely British so if you expect some culture then you're in the wrong place. Lots of Apres ski though so a party hard attitude is a bonus if you're there.

So overall re it being busy, can't say for sure but it's likely it was a case of when, not where.

James B have you been to Andorra? How did you find it compared to other resorts if so? Reason i ask is that i found Tignes far too busy on the slopes.

Sorry to go off topic here.

Sorry to be slow to reply Ruddles. Yes, as it happens Andorra was where I did my instructors.

I loved it! It's really a question of what you're looking for, how much you have to spend and when you go. Any resort is going to be busy in holidays and particularly half-term time is chaos. More than twice the price and everywhere is packed. Not my idea of fun!

Andorra is a lot LOT cheaper than Tignes. It's further south and not as high so it's not as snow sure but you can't forecast the weather 100%, there's always some luck. Andorran resorts (particualrly Pas and Soldeu) are almost entirely British so if you expect some culture then you're in the wrong place. Lots of Apres ski though so a party hard attitude is a bonus if you're there.

So overall re it being busy, can't say for sure but it's likely it was a case of when, not where.

Cheers for the reply :thumbs:

We're going for the slopes in the day and parties at night pretty much. Culture doesn't worry me much. I received enough 'culture' from the french in Tignes :dry: (french snowboard shops that don't sell binding screws....sure)

We're thinking Mid to late January next year for a long week pretty much :teeth: