y pipe

garetgax

Just trying to guage whether its worth swapping my oem y pipe for an after market one and if so which one. Ive some Berks coming today and im swapping my y2 for a y1 exhaust and have plans for motordyne plenum spacer and up rev later this year. Just wondered if the y pipe makes a big difference and if so any recommendations and roughly the bhp increase id see from it?

sorry if this is already elsewhere. :teeth:

yeah I'd read that was more wondering what the y pipe on its own would add i.e is it worth the additional expense of the y pipe or is the y pipe more important than the plenum spacer. If it doesnt have much of an impact id use the money on a set of bc's instead.

i have just fitted a Motordyne XYZ pipe to a fully standard system. not sure how much difference it has made but the car 'feels' like it has a bit more mid range and spins up a bit quicker but that may be all in my head. it certainly makes a little more noise but not much.

when you look at the standard y pipe compared to an aftermarket one you cannot help but believe it has to help with the flow as the stock y pipe looks soooooo restrictive!

stock

existing.jpg

Motordyne

motordynexyz.jpg

every little bit helps i recon! ok the next most restrictive thing is prob the CATs and then the rest of the system (i am sure i have heard that the rest of the stock system is good for 400hp or something like that)

anyway you could always look at fitting a y pipe from the HR motor (one for sale for £40 at the mo in the sale section)

its not quite as good as a full after market jobby but it flows better than the earlier ones

sorry Mark

prob getting our wires crossed... talking about the stock Y pipe not the Motordyne one.

the earlier stock pipes are a different shape to the later ones as you can see from the pics above. the DE ones have much tighter almost 90 degree bends to the pipework where the later ones have a series of 45 degree bends and have the point where the 2 join further back from the CATs. not saying it will be much better but having had a read up on a few of the forums they HR one sems to flow a bit better than the stock DE Y pipe

not if fitting the Motordyne XYZ to a stock system will make much difference? maybe you can say?

never taken much notice to the shape , but I have been out and measured the pipework the HR has smaller inlet pipes that the DE/REV-up Y pipes;

The limiting factor I feel on these cars are the CATS , a Y-pipe will give you more midrange grunt but top end will be the same as the CATS are the resticting issues. Stock exhaust are good for 400bhp so they wont be any issue on a Normal RPM limit N/A car.

Cool thanks for that Mark... just what i wanted to hear.. not that bothered about top end power and am really looking for nice midrange pull. have fitted the Motordyne pipe and my version of an MREV2 plenum.. do you do dyno work on a Saturday for a reflash of the UPREV i have already had done?

sorry for the thread hijack... not entirely off subject i guess :lol::thumbs: