Wheel Spacer variants

Gaz350

Hey guys,

I'm a little confused (& unsure) so any help would be massively appreciated! I'm considering fitting 40mm (20mm each side) wheel spacers to the rear wheels (& 10mm each side on the fronts). I've heard h&r are a good quality brand so I've been looking at their products, I just need some advice on the advantages/disadvantages between the DRM & DRS spacer types, from what I can gather, DRMs use 5 bolts to attach to the car, then you use the original 5 bolts to attach the wheel to the spacer, whereas a DRS system comes with longer bolts so that there is only one set of bolts per corner, but which is best? (& by best I mean safest!) This leads me to my next question, I know wheel spacers are a topic that divide opinion, but in the real world are they safe? I drive my 07 Z very carefully and only occasionally stick my foot down, but is it worth the risk?

Sorry for nattering on, any advice would be brilliant.

Thank you, Gazz

Once you use correct fitment spacers and make sure they are hubcentric then you should have no problem. Most people use option 1 method which is the bolt on spacer which bolts onto your existing studs and then your spacer bolts onto the spacer. For 10mm spacers this method wont work as they do not supply then this small. If you have the standard wheels or rays you can have max 20mm front and 25mm rear.

However, a few people, like me go for the second option which works out cheaper, where you replace the original studs with longer ones, and then slip the hubcentric spacer on and then bolt on the wheel like normal.

The safer option I dont know. I would day both methods are safe once using quality spacers which are hubcentric.

Thank you for the quick reply! So you're running DRS type spacers? I prefer the idea of having longer wheel studs as I seem to think that by having only one set of studs there is 50% less chance of something going wrong (although I'm not sure why I think that!) Yeah I'm running the RAYS 18" wheels, maybe I'll look at 15mm at the front then, I've had the car lowered (Tein S-Tech springs), I just want to finish off the stance with a wider track!

If anyone else has any further comments/advice please do share, the more information the better! :thumbs:

Both methods are safe if the correct spacer is chosen and fitted correctly.

Which is safest is debateable.

IMHO the hubcentric type where do do not have to swop out the studs is the favourite, granted a few pound more expensive, however much easier to fit and remove when required.

These are what I run on my track 650bhp Zed Roadster.

Eibach is the market leader and if you want the perfect stance then 20/20 or 20/25 is the way to go. :thumbs:

In stock and good to go same/next day :thumbs:

Drop me a pm if I can help you further. :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=42415

Alex :)

Cheers for the advice Alex! So if I'm right you're saying the Eibach Pro Kit-4 is the way to go (with 2 sets of bolts on each wheel)? If you're running them on a 650bhp Zed that puts my mind at ease, so thank you for that! Right I'll put in a couple of weeks hard saving then I'll be in touch if that's Ok? What payment types do you accept, PayPal? Also are the prices in the topic you quoted still accurate (If so, very impressive!)?

Thanks again,

Gazz

If you would prefer to go down my option, where I spent £40 on the correct spacer (hubcentric with the correct bore) and then another £25 for the longer wheels studs, and about an hour swapping the studs over.

So worked out £65 in total! 20mm All round! :)

Well I think if Alex is running the Eibach Pro Kit 4 on his Zed (with such a high power output), just for the peace of mind I'd rather pay the money and get the best :)

Just one more question, my Zed is sat on Tein S-Tech springs (17mm lower at the front, 14mm at the rear), I've had the camber pulled back as much as possible, but will fitting wheel spacers (and therefore widening the track of the car) increase tyre wear in any way?

That's my last query before I bite the bullet and order some from Alex so a speedy response would be a great help! :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
If you would prefer to go down my option, where I spent £40 on the correct spacer (hubcentric with the correct bore) and then another £25 for the longer wheels studs, and about an hour swapping the studs over.

May I ask where you bought spacers and longer studs from? For that kind of money, its worth doing just to pass some time.

May I ask where you bought spacers and longer studs from? For that kind of money, its worth doing just to pass some time.

The person I bought my wheels from has loads of bits and pieces regarding wheels. I got the spacers from him and the longer wheel studs from a ebay (A good source obviously) Pm me and Ill give you the details. :)

The person I bought my wheels from has loads of bits and pieces regarding wheels. I got the spacers from him and the longer wheel studs from a ebay (A good source obviously) Pm me and Ill give you the details. :)

Why not post public if they are already on eBay?

Why not post public if they are already on eBay?

Yes, but I also need to give him the guys number for the spacers, and its not good to give numbers out as bots ect pick up the number. :)