painting and fitting a spoiler

George Dredd

Hi zed heads, can anybody point me in the right direction(other than Nissan unless that's the best option) to get a tin of gunmetal paint for a spoiler that I won on ebay (its the nismo N1 I think). I also need to know if it matters what it is going on i.e metal or plastic. How much will I need for the spoiler? Don't worry I'm not attempting it myself but I do have to supply the paint.

Now for fitting(I am attempting this myself)

So I just need to know what glue/double sided tape I need and where to get it from.

cheers :thumbs:

So I just need to know what glue/double sided tape I need and where to get it from.

You are aware that you need to drill 2 extra holes in the boot lid aren't you mate?

Be very careful taking the old one off too - it can be a bugger to remove and many have ended up with scratching - ChrisS has taken his off previously himself and can prob offer some good advice.

Try these guys for the paint http://www.paints4u.com/paintdoctor.aspx

I know what you're saying but I wanted to start doing a bit on the car myself, its only a spoiler after all, how hard can it be?

I only live two streets away from CS workshop, its not the convenience I'm after and if it doesn't go to plan then CS will still be around the corner.

You are aware that you need to drill 2 extra holes in the boot lid aren't you mate?

Be very careful taking the old one off too - it can be a bugger to remove and many have ended up with scratching - ChrisS has taken his off previously himself and can prob offer some good advice.

Yes I was aware of the extra holes needed, but I thought some people were not bothering with the extra holes and using extra adhesive, incase they ever wanted to put it back to stock.

I know what you're saying but I wanted to start doing a bit on the car myself, its only a spoiler after all, how hard can it be?

I only live two streets away from CS workshop, its not the convenience I'm after and if it doesn't go to plan then CS will still be around the corner.

Oh you live close, you should come say hello sometime :thumbs:

That's true, you may learn a lot doing it yourself. I don't have the confidence :lol:

Yes I was aware of the extra holes needed, but I thought some people were not bothering with the extra holes and using extra adhesive, incase they ever wanted to put it back to stock.

The Nismo N1 spoilers weigh a tonne, I wouldn't trust the adhesive to keep the spoiler on the car when travelling at 100+ mph. Imagine it flew off, the damage it could cause to someone/something could be immense!

That's true, you may learn a lot doing it yourself. I don't have the confidence :lol:

The Nismo N1 spoilers weigh a tonne, I wouldn't trust the adhesive to keep the spoiler on the car when travelling at 100+ mph. Imagine it flew off, the damage it could cause to someone/something could be immense!

I'm hearing that! It would be devastating, so if anyone else has any input on the matter please speak now or forever hold your peace.I have not received my spoiler yet and was under the impression it would be quite light! Plus 100mph=instant ban :doh:

Will deffo meet up soon, just remember not to drive behind me :p how about japfest 2?

My spoiler was supplied and fitted by a very good trader on here, sadly no more trading. I am known to be an unlucky customer. :lol:

Spoiler 1 fitted by their body shop. They then noticed it was damaged.

No problem, another spoiler was unwrapped. It didnt have the correct base. Spoiler 3 was then merged with spoiler 2 and it was fitted and was fine. No additional cost and a days work to complete a simple fitting task.

I never fit things to my car but maybe thats just me. :lol:

I'm hearing that! It would be devastating, so if anyone else has any input on the matter please speak now or forever hold your peace.I have not received my spoiler yet and was under the impression it would be quite light! Plus 100mph=instant ban :doh:

Will deffo meet up soon, just remember not to drive behind me :p how about japfest 2?

:lol: 100+mph on a track...where were you thinking? ;):lol:

I'll definately keep my distance, I and my Zed don't want to be written off just yet! :p

When is Japfest 2?

Thanks for the pics mate, what did you use to pry the old lip spoiler off and what about the residue/glue? Did you drill new holes or use extra adhesive to fix the new spoiler?

Thanks

Wood wedges with cloth arround them and a heat gun. Then a couple of hours white spirit and a heat gun to remove the crud.

Then an hour machine polishing. A total ball ache. (I did have a very good reason for doing it myself.)

Had the spoiler fitted by the body shop it was both drilled and bonded and the base sealed.

In all honesty,your mad to do it yourself. :shrug: