fish tail

janoof1

ok , been having a few issues with fish tailing in the Z , when i change from 1st to second when im really pushing it - the vdc (or what ever its called ) kicks in and cuts the power

once in the rain it didnt seem to kick it and the rear end went a little light, but recently, as ive got more used to the car and have been pushing it a lot -there have been occasions where the car fishtails on dry roads between 1st/2nd and i have to hold the steering wheel firmly

is this normal

i have bridgestones on the rear with less than 500mls use

is this a tyre issue, or a just charecteristic of the car that the vdc will not cut the power all the time

its not a wild fishtail - but significant enough that any passenger shits a brick

i just dont want this to happen

:scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare:

Toyos are the fav at the mo, combine this with a two day Ride Drive sessions and I'm sure you'll be ok

:thumbs:

thats true , forgot to mention the fact im a crap driver-

passed my test in 1999, done about 2000mls since then in a civic- then straight to the z :surrender:

I have noticed that too, but i have got used to it now and for some reason it doesnt do it as much with the ESP turned off.

Its just when pushing it the back end will lose grip slightly and then correct itself, thats the nature of rear wheels drive. However I do think the Potenzas are rubbish and when mine are all worn, in getting Toyos

when im accelerating fom stand still

so mike are you telling me that if i had toyo proxes on the rear it would not happedn in the dry?

More noticeable now as its getting colder mate - the 'stones need a fair bit of heat in them to get a decent level of grip. Don't think Toyo's would completely solve your problem but they'd certainly help. Just don't give it so much beans in first!!!!

You could also try to learn how to handle a RWD car corectly :p

As helpful as ever :yawn:

Its just that it is always easier to blame the equipment than to blame the person controlling the vehicle ;) All tyres loose traction at a certain point, some earlier than others. Its a matter of learning the limits of your car. Or e.g. when you crash your car coz you missed a corner coz you went too fast are you also gonna say your Z is @*!# and you are going to buy an Elise to solve that problem? :headhurt:

I ve encountered some fun ones myself with the Z on wet roads, with ESP on, simple straight-line acceleration on the highway and the back started moving when going from 2nd to 3rd, but hey, this is no FWD vehicle, RWD needs to be treated with respect ;)

Saying "my tyres are @*!#", "my suspension is @*!#", "my car is @*!#" is just too easy imho. Everything is @*!# at a certain level then ;) (by which i do not mean you should not put decent tyres on a car or never do things to increase its performance. You ll just move the limits, but they ll still be there, you cannot change the laws of physics Jim ;) )

Its just that it is always easier to blame the equipment than to blame the person controlling the vehicle ;) All tyres loose traction at a certain point, some earlier than others. Its a matter of learning the limits of your car. Or e.g. when you crash your car coz you missed a corner coz you went too fast are you also gonna say your Z is @*!# and you are going to buy an Elise to solve that problem? :headhurt:

I ve encountered some fun ones myself with the Z on wet roads, with ESP on, simple straight-line acceleration on the highway and the back started moving when going from 2nd to 3rd, but hey, this is no FWD vehicle, RWD needs to be treated with respect ;)

Saying "my tyres are @*!#", "my suspension is @*!#", "my car is @*!#" is just too easy imho. Everything is @*!# at a certain level then ;) (by which i do not mean you should not put decent tyres on a car or never do things to increase its performance. You ll just move the limits, but they ll still be there, you cannot change the laws of physics Jim ;) )

Totally agree here, in the wet i have got the back end to twitter as well going from 2nd to 3rd. :thumbs: its all about control and limits

I've had this, and with my Toyo's in the wet, but only while they're running in (they've still only done a couple of hundred miles). I think the Bridgestones did it with a bit less control, with the Toyo's it is more of a twitch. I quite like it though as it shows the traction control isn't grabbing too early and it only does it a low speed. Maybe Nissan put an 'Ego Allownce' in!!! :D:p

I've had this, and with my Toyo's in the wet, but only while they're running in (they've still only done a couple of hundred miles). I think the Bridgestones did it with a bit less control, with the Toyo's it is more of a twitch. I quite like it though as it shows the traction control isn't grabbing too early and it only does it a low speed. Maybe Nissan put an 'Ego Allownce' in!!! :D:p
teehee, there is an ego allowance they told me, har har :thumbs:

Front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, 4 wheel drive, whatever, if there's a decent amount of power then there will always be a few moments. But I don't think there was any blame being put on the car or tyres, simply comments about how the different bits of the car work together. I'm sure the question was based on whether it was normal and to get others opinions, not sure why the comment needs to be so blunt! :wacko:

BTW, an Elise won't solve that problem. A mid engine rear wheel car in the wet isn't easier to handle than the Zed. It's a right handful but fun with it! :D

Do you have to? ;)

Its pure logic. The elise is 500kg lighter, has semi-slicks fitted, is lower, has a 100% flat "floorpan" to suck it to the road. It would be quite amusing to see that that wouldn't increase corner speed compared to a Z ;)

Have driven a VX220turbo once, but didnt really test its limits coz it wasnt mine, no ;)