New M5....

gangzoom

The Zed engine is backwards in terms of this, the VQ35DE was first seen in cars 10yrs ago! Also having a TT can help the M5 as it can cruise around on the combine cycle using hardly any fuel and then get on boost to give massive performance ;)

MPG figures today are now starting to get distorted by technologies such as the stop/start engines that cut power at junctions etc. Also, IIRC the M5 type cars can be run on a leaner setting of something like 400bhp and you have to select the right mode to get the 550bhp mode. The fuel economy figures will be from the leanest setting no doubt too.

With the price of fuel continually going up, Im guessing manufacturers will be using every trick in the book to get efficiency figures up now.

It's got 90lb/ft less than the E63... That's a significant amount of shove lost IMHO, and possibly why for the first time ever I'd have the Merc over the BMW.

Just looking at the power curve, it's all over before 6K revs! What is it, a diesel?!

Just looking at the power curve, it's all over before 6K revs! What is it, a diesel?!

Hadnt even seen that - shocking! Obviously it should be using variable vane turbos when its not, I would hazzard a guess it uses quite small turbos that spool quickly but then run out of puff :lol:

I think it's a clear intention of departure from the M division into making great road cars rather than great road cars that work brilliantly on track. Something with a big lumpy delivery is exactly what you want on the boring roads, which is why diesels make great motorway cruisers, but that makes fast road driving a bit of a chore. I very much doubt that it'll be a boring car, as something with 500bhp+ isn't ever going to be boring, but it certainly doesn't look like it'll excite the way M cars used to.

See also: 1M.

It's got 90lb/ft less than the E63... That's a significant amount of shove lost IMHO, and possibly why for the first time ever I'd have the Merc over the BMW.

BMW have always been about the bhp thought wheater it's cos they are usually more focused and revvy than the merc or because the headline bhp Sells cars I don't know.