Insurance company that cover wheel spacers

DoubleDeuce1973

Hi all,

After being told by Esure that they would cover wheel spacers, I decided to get some. On contacting them to advise that I have ordered some and will be fitting them , they did a complete U-turn and claimed that they were deemed to high a risk and would not cover them. Great! I raised a complaint.

I have had a call back from them today to be told they won't cover them but they would gladly offer me a full refund as I had been advised incorrectly. So my search began.

Been on a few comparison websites and added wheel spacers as modifications. Admiral came out top on all so I decided to get a quote direct to see if there was a cheaper price available. On entering modifications, I noticed that Wheel spacers were not on there (despite all comparison sites showing this as an option and bringing Admiral up in the search results). I decided to call them to find out what the situation was only to be told that they clasify them as suspension modifications and the underwriters consider them too high a risk and would not cover them.

I know a lot of people on here are covered by Admiral, has anyone had any problems with spacers?

Are there any companies out there that cover them on a policy with charging a fortune. (Sky Insurance and Chris Knott were a good £100 more expensive)

Cheers

It get's better......

Decided to call Elephant next on the list (despite them being owned by the same company).

Went through the online quote, told her about the mods and mentioned wheel spacers. She didn't have a clue what I was on about but decided to speak with her supervisor. She came back to tell me that they would class them as exterior decoration and would want another £11 on top of quote????

Having just been refused by 2 previous companies I asked her to double check for me, explained what the spacers did again and also told her other companies have refused to cover me. She came back and asked if I had alloy wheels on the car. I told her I had and she explained if that's the case we don't even need to know about the spacers then????

This makes the quote by far the best one but can I trust it? I mean lines are recorded so if there was an issue I am sure I would have a case but how can companies be so different?

I fitted some at the weekend cost me 36 quid on my premium, I'm with bell - same company as admiral etc. The lass I spoke to also didn't know what they were, in the end it sounded like they picked a price at random lol. Maybe get proof in writing if you can?

I fitted some at the weekend cost me 36 quid on my premium, I'm with bell - same company as admiral etc. The lass I spoke to also didn't know what they were, in the end it sounded like they picked a price at random lol. Maybe get proof in writing if you can?

Do you have any idea what she recorded them on the system as?

I will definately request that they are documented in some way. Could seriously do without someone refusing to payout if there was an accident.

I thought they were gonna shaft me so was quite happy with £36 :lol: I think she just put them down as wheel spacers mate, she didn't ask me to explain what purpose they had but I was put on hold a few times while she sorted it out/found out what they were. I think when you list the modifications online it would just have to be listed under 'other' as they don't have a specific catagory.

Strange that admiral wouldn't cover you though :shrug:. I'd get a quote with bell insurance I found them a good £200 cheaper than both elephant and admiral :thumbs:

I thought they were gonna shaft me so was quite happy with £36 :lol: I think she just put them down as wheel spacers mate, she didn't ask me to explain what purpose they had but I was put on hold a few times while she sorted it out/found out what they were. I think when you list the modifications online it would just have to be listed under 'other' as they don't have a specific catagory.

Strange that admiral wouldn't cover you though :shrug:. I'd get a quote with bell insurance I found them a good £200 cheaper than both elephant and admiral :thumbs:

All 3 are coming out about the same to be honest.

Interesting that if I decide to keep the car on the drive rather than in the garage I can save another £40

Even if the lines are recorded, I bet you, that in the event of any claims, your particular phone call would be "lost sir". :snack:

Absolutely it would.

When an insurance company sent me a letter several years ago stating they would not insure me as I'd not sent them my proof of no claims (was on hols and forgot) but then still charged my account for the cover they could find every letter they'd ever sent me on record apart from that one.

A less trusting person might think they were lying. :angry:

I decided to call back Elephant and speak top another member of the team.

He knew all about Wheel spacers so that made things alot easier. I did send him off to double check with his manager which he did do. It seems that for whatever reason, if you have Alloys on your car, you do not need to even declare spacers with them. I asked that notes were added to the policy "just in case" which he has agreed to do.

All sorted

He knew all about Wheel spacers so that made things alot easier. I did send him off to double check with his manager which he did do. It seems that for whatever reason, if you have Alloys on your car, you do not need to even declare spacers with them. I asked that notes were added to the policy "just in case" which he has agreed to do.

All sorted

Thats useful to know because I've not declared ours yet! :yahoo:

All sorted

I just received some from Alex yesterday so good for me also (with Admiral). :thumbs:

All sorted

I just received some from Alex yesterday so good for me also (with Admiral). :thumbs:

See earlier up the thread. Admiral point blank refused to cover them :thumbdown:

All sorted

See earlier up the thread. Admiral point blank refused to cover them :thumbdown:

Bah - same company - you just spoke to another nutsack who doesn't know what they're on about.

All sorted

Bah - same company - you just spoke to another nutsack who doesn't know what they're on about.

Maybe but the guy from Admiral had the best knowledge around what they were and was the only one to speask to the underwriting team. Just saying it may be a good idea to be very vague when you do tell them.