Lump of metal in a tyre :-( What next?

eftpotrm

New owner, just curious what others would do in this situation...

The car came with Bridgestone RE040 fronts and 050 rears. Today, I spot a shiny lump of metal about 0.75" long sticking out of the tread of the left front... Tyre still at full pressure even with the metal removed but quite a sizeable cut.

So, obviously needs sorting and I'm thinking options. They seem to be:

1. Get this tyre repaired. Not keen, long cut, unknown damage. Plus the tyres aren't the youngest anyway, probably 3-4mm left but no more and the rubber doesn't look the youngest.

2. Single new RE040. Hmm, bit difference in wear levels side to side seems bad.

3. Pair of new RE050s to match the rears (which I've not meaured but I think have 4-5mm tread - must check).

4. Full set of something else altogether - Michelin, Falken, Toyo, Vredestein....? Nankang? ;)

WWYD? Thanks :)

I know this is :offtopic: but I once got a fork stuck in one of my tyres, as in cutlery, a fork you eat with. The whole thing went in there leaving just the tip of the handle poking out. Weird.

Tyres: If it was up to me then I would go with RE050s so they all match, or get 4x Vreds, or if you're feeling rich, some PS2s.

Thanks chaps. I'll confirm there's at least some life in the rears before basing the decision off them, but it looked like there was from memory so a pair of RE050s seems the way to go.

Now the joy of getting them fitted... With my other car (Zafira :yuck: but I needed a cheap van with potential for a lot of seats and it and the 350Z do, er, compliment each others' limitations rather...) I've never had any great problems, just marched it round to an ATS in walking distance of home and got them to sort it. ATS, Halfords and HI-Q all deny knowledge that such a tyre exists. Kwik Fit would sell them to me, but need pre-ordering. etyres.co.uk seem to have what I'm after - anyone tried them out?

I know this is :offtopic: but I once got a fork stuck in one of my tyres, as in cutlery, a fork you eat with. The whole thing went in there leaving just the tip of the handle poking out. Weird.

My Dad was telling me the story while we sorted the Z yesterday (he didn't think I'd remember it having happened when I was 8ish, but he reckoned without car nut kids memory :teeth:) - we had a Fiat Strada back then, a watchmakers' screwdriver got stuck in the OSR tyre. Made a heck of a banging noise against the wheelarch as we were going round, I can tell you. Pulled it out, tyre went down rather fast....

OK, I think I'm now officially confused....

My rears have enough life to make them worth matching IMHO. They're both labelled RE050 E050AZ 96Y, though the E050AZ is prefixed T0050 on one side and K0201 on the other.

Tyres in the right size for the front seem to be 95Y instead of 96Y where I can find them?

Plus, I'm only seeing RE050A on sale, not RE050, and I've not been able to see anything about the difference between the two other than that I understand RE050As are newer tyres?

Er, help? Thanks :)

I thin re50 came in a 350z version tho i may be rembering wrong! 96Y maybe the speed/load rating i think

Have a read of this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=35

When you buy the RE50s or otherwise You select the speed rating sometimes and there are varients for specific models in some cases. These may have slight differences im not sure.. Maybe a marketing thing but you are normally fine.

Price wise try camskill They are normally good. I would have thought RE50A should be fine. I cant check exactly what mine say... Cars in shop!

http://www.camskill.co.uk/