Audi driving experience

Leeroy

I went on an Audi driving day at Silverstone the other day and thought I'd share my experience.

The cars on offer were the TTRS, RS5 and R8 V10. I don't really have any track day experience, having only done a couple of supercar and rally days which were pretty strict on what you could do with the car. The Audi experience was a breath of fresh air with the instructors really pushing us and the cars.

First up was the R8 and it was nothing short of awesome. We did a braking exercise and the thing stopped like it had hit a wall. The way it went, sounded, gripped, and steered was sublime and I was amazed how adjustable it was on the power. Oversteer was definitely on the menu and slides are so controllable with the ESP off. I had hoped it would be the open gate manual but it was the R-Tronic auto. I struggled with the wheel mounted paddles as they were never where I expected them to be, so I used the gear lever for changes which was fine. Sport mode gives you complete control.

Next up was the RS5. It did nothing for me whatsoever, although after having been recalibrated by the R8 maybe this is to be expected. It was big, heavy and understeery. I'd like to try the RS4 which is supposed to better.

Then came the TTRS, which was actually pretty good. Too neutral for my taste in the corners, but it did neutral well and really fires out of the corners - you do need to tuck the nose in on the brakes first though. The 5 pot went and sounded well and the exhaust popping on down changes was brilliant, and much (ab)used :)

I haven't had the Zed on track so it's hard to judge, but the TT didn't seem much quicker (although the 4.5 to 60 times would suggest differently).

The R8 was an absolute gem, but I'm not sure I'd get one if I had the cash. I'd probably want something with a bigger sense of occasion inside, to match the rest of the package. That thought wasn't in my head when I got out of it though, just "want one!".

I did an R8 track drive a little while ago and I have to echo what you've said, it is an awesome machine.

I was also lucky to have a very good instructor. He started off with the usual, "Brake.. turn in.. accelerate..etc" on the first lap and by the last he was shouting, "Accelerate!.. Overtake the slow bastard in the Aston! Don't you dare ****ing brake for that corner! Accelerate! Accelerate dammit!".

He was quite excitable :teeth: but it made for an awesome drive. I guess they gauge your capabilities and adjust accordingly. And I of course, being the new Stig, was egged on and then some :boxing:

The car took everything I could throw at it and wanted more. Would love to be able to afford one myself one day :bounce:

Did you find the changes jerky and a bit slow? Just confuses me how audi can get it so right in the gallardo e gear but so wrong in the r8.

I did find the changes slow at first, and with sport selected they aren't superfast but I wouldn't say it's bad. My driving partner took some video of the gear lever by mistake happily, so I'll put the vid up if I can....

Looks like you had a good time.

Took an R8 out for a test drive a couple of years ago before the V!0 engine came in. Have to say that the car was excellent, but would not spend that kind of cash on one. Other cars give more bang for your buck. Would love a DB9 though :cloud9:

R8 Great value for money compared to its rivals in the V8. Drives great, much nicer inside than the Lambo, turns more heads than a 911. Personally I couldn't get away with the R Tronic, the manual takes a bit of getting used to, but much nicer with practise (like an old Ferrari) super cool car.

R8 Great value for money compared to its rivals in the V8. Drives great, much nicer inside than the Lambo, turns more heads than a 911. Personally I couldn't get away with the R Tronic, the manual takes a bit of getting used to, but much nicer with practise (like an old Ferrari) super cool car.

I preferred the interior of the lambo.