Couple of quick questions

Ekona

I've noticed recently that I'm having a couple of issues with my general car cleaning and would appreciate any help you guys can offer. A regular routine for me would be wash with DJ BTM using the TBM, rinse with open hose, quick spray of Last Touch QD, dry, then a single coating of Swissvax Zuffenhausen if the car needs it. The car is then put into the garage (concrete floor, brick walls, timber roof) where it's left overnight at a minimum, usually a week or more.

1st issue, and I suspect the easiest to solve as I think I already know the answer, is that when I remove the car from the garage afterwards the paintwork seems slightly hazy still. A wash or so later without a wax and it seems fine. My guess is that either I'm applying too much wax or I'm not removing it properly, but given the cost of the wax and how tight I am I'm fairly sure I'm not applying too much! :lol: Not impossible though. Could it be anything else though?

2nd issue is a bit weirder. Imagine you've got a perfectly clean car, and you slightly overspray some QD on the odd panel but you don't notice it. You put the car away for a few days, then take it out and notice these darker wet patches on the paint that QD can leave (completely different to leaving water on the panel). Well, I tend to get this on the car in random places, but mostly on the top of the wheelarches but slightly ahead of the middle of the wheel. However, so as that's not too misleading I do get these marks on the bonnet, the engine lid, sometimes on the doors etc. There's seems to be no logical placing of the marks.

This can happen after a clean + wax or just after a clean, and it's not every time. A quick wipe down with some QD and a microfibre gets rid of them with minimal effort, but I'd rather prevent them in the first place. It's not me over spraying QD on the car either, as they can occur when I've not even used any, not even in the drying phase. Could it be random condensation going from a warm outside to a cold garage? Or something else? I'll take any ideas on this one!

As always, any comments are appreciated. :)

I don't use any QD after waxing, only when the car is wet to aid with drying. The wax is the last thing to go on.

That will be it then Dan, I could remeber how long but as Mike says if you leave it a day then use QD it will remove all the overwax. :)

I don't use any QD after waxing, only when the car is wet to aid with drying. The wax is the last thing to go on.

It could be that as said. Really you want your wax on first IMO and use last touch as a drying aid and a top up for the next time you wash it. Also some waxes like dodo SN rehaze after awhile so it could be that. Lastly are applying the wax quite thin?

@Mike: See, I tried waiting a day or two and then putting some Red Mist on but it just didn't give a good result for me at all, and my bottle of RM is now consigned firmly to the window cleaning section of my washing tray! I much prefer the Last Touch stuff as a pure QD, which I admit I've never tried using post-wax. I think I'll give that Blackfire stuff a go, I need to order some more clay anyway so I can combine the two.

I suspect a big issue is that I've never owned a black car before, and I wonder if my technique was fine for the blues and reds I've had before, but needs improving on black where every little detail shows.

I could be wrong here... But I have just painted my zed and I know exactly what your talking about!

The dull patches are bits which need to be compounded out. This can be done by hand or machine.

If the paint is older than 1 month you can use T-cut, if not use some 3m compound.

Apply the compound and rub in a circle motion then use some soapy car water and wash it off. Easy!

Also, It is recommended to leave the paint alone for about 2-3 weeks clean, so no wax or polish, but compounding is fine, as the paint needs to harden properly. :thumbs: