mechanical advise please

George Dredd

Hi guys, I need a bit of advice- following on from my previous post 'aaaarrrgh please help' I reported a rattle from my gearstick which happens between 4.5k and 5.5k revs, nobody could seem to diagnose/guess what the problem could be.... Well today while driving I found that if I apply a small amount of pressure to the gearstick it stopped, i.e if I was in third gear, I push the gearstick a tiny bit towards the stereo and the noise stopped, let it go and the rattle continues, I called my mechanically minded mate and he said it could be the gear linkages, can anyone confirm or deny that this could be my problem and if it is can you tell me if its a big job and a rough idea of costs.

Thanks.

Yes I do have an aftermarket gearknob and coincidently the day I fitted it was the day I first noticed it rattle, the thing is my mate said to me on the way to japfest he could hear the rattle, but I could not hear it, I got the knob from japfest and fitted it while I was there (not using the grips and rubber method :bangin: ) the old knob came off really easy that's why I continued to replace it.

Anyway, on the way home I noticed the rattle and my mate said that is what he was on about before. I have tightened the new gearknob by hand and it is tight but I don't want to over do it, especially if I have damaged my gearbox in anyway. I suppose I could put the old knob back on and see if it still happens.

Could be a number it issues causing this, however the main culprit is the rubber O ring in the base of the shift knob, failing that the bushes in the base of the shifter where it hooks up to the transmission linkage.

As usual all in stock :thumbs:

Alex. :)

I got a gear knob from KTA and when I put it on i heard an annoying rattle which only stopped when I gripped the gear knob hard (ok queue the jokes...). Anyway my dad had some white tape (cant remember what he said it was) but he wrapped it around the gear stick thread then put the gear knob back on and viola, fixed.

there is a small metal piece within the standard knob which will remain when the knob is removed. check that's not still sat there. you'll have to take the new knob off to check. if it doesn't fit tight in the new knob it may be causing the issue.

Thanks Alex, could you tell me prices for these bits and is it something I could do myself? Or is it a trip to cougar store? Does it sound like a biggie? I' m worried now :shrug:

If the problem only arose after you swopped out the shifter knob then more than likely the O ring will still in your old knob.

Have a look and if it is, then simply transfer it to your new shift knob.

If you still have issues then just give me shout back. :thumbs:

there is a small metal piece within the standard knob which will remain when the knob is removed. check that's not still sat there. you'll have to take the new knob off to check. if it doesn't fit tight in the new knob it may be causing the issue.

this is what I removed and below is a close up of the knob ring, is this the piece you mentioned?

OLDKNOB.jpg

KNOBRING.jpg

Whoopsie almost forgot pics!

Sounds a bit daft, but have you tried putting the old gear knob back on see if it still does it?

Not daft at all mate, anything's got to be worth a try, but no I've not replaced it yet because I don't have any grips, and want to do it properly this time, just incase I have damaged something.

Might be.

The inside of the oem knob is made of rubber and the threaded part of the shift lever screws into this, however there is an independant rubber O ring which acts as an insulator. It is circ 5 mm deep.

Have a poke about inside the oem shift knob and see if you can dislodge it.

Alex.

Might be.

The inside of the oem knob is made of rubber and the threaded part of the shift lever screws into this, however there is an independant rubber O ring which acts as an insulator. It is circ 5 mm deep.

Alex.

Cheers mate just pulled this out from the oem knob, could this be my problem?

IMAG0190.jpg

Sorry if it seems like I am making a mountain out of a mole hill, its just bugging me.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Might be.

Alex.

Cheers mate just pulled this out from the oem knob, could this be my problem?

IMAG0190.jpg

Sorry if it seems like I am making a mountain out of a mole hill, its just bugging me.

Thanks everyone for your input.

That's it mate now go fit it to the new gearshift knob and hopefully your noise will be gone. :thumbs:

That little bad boy is actually an item that Nissan recommend should not be reused however at circa £14.00 a pop it is worth a go :thumbs:

Alex :)

I fitted an after market gear knob last week and had the same issue, however mine was the steel collet ring that you have in your photo.

In my case my new knob wasn't bottoming on to the ring and hence it vibrated like a bell, take it off and see if that does it, don't forget its not unusual to fit this ring the wrong way round. :thumbs:

Hi guys, just a quick update on the rattle, hear are the things I have tried so far

1- fitted the rubber o ring

2- fitted metal ring+ rubber o ring

3- re fitted the oem gearknob

4-re fitted the aftermarket gearknob

None of the above made any difference- there is still a rattle :bang:

Anymore suggestions?

Thanks

are you sure the gearknob is tight enough. maybe you have loosened the leaver

The gearknob is tight enough that I can't do it any tighter by hand, also when you say loosened the lever, do you mean I may have loosened the actual gearstick itself? If so what do I need to tighten it?(dont want to damage anything)

yes, I know you have to be careful with the gearstick when removing the knob. Maybe alex can advise on tigthening the stick back. It does sound like a loose knob to me though.

Perhaps you've got weak wrists and by hand isn't good enough :lol: