dealer says not to replace oil for gearbox and dif

skidder

So my cars up for a P3 service.Go to a local nissan dealer.Quoted me £386(i'm thinking about right I guess)

Ask whats included etc...sounds OK.

Anyway I don't have any history of gearbox or diff oil change so I ask about this.He advises me that these oils should never be changed for the life of the car.

I presume this is utter rubbish or what?

I've been searching the forum for some time and these oil changes seem quite common..

Sometimes I really wonder about these guys at nissan dealerships.

Thanks in advance for any comments.Appreciated.

Chris

P.S. I did want to go to horsham developments but there 25 miles from me and means I'll have to sit and wait for 3 hours or so while there doing the work.There also in the middle of nowhere so not much to do.I might still take this option as I've been following them on the SXOC club for sometime.I know there the best.

So my cars up for a P3 service.Go to a local nissan dealer.Quoted me £386(i'm thinking about right I guess)

Ask whats included etc...sounds OK.

Anyway I don't have any history of gearbox or diff oil change so I ask about this.He advises me that these oils should never be changed for the life of the car.

I presume this is utter rubbish or what?

I've been searching the forum for some time and these oil changes seem quite common..

Sometimes I really wonder about these guys at nissan dealerships.

Thanks in advance for any comments.Appreciated.

Chris

P.S. I did want to go to horsham developments but there 25 miles from me and means I'll have to sit and wait for 3 hours or so while there doing the work.There also in the middle of nowhere so not much to do.I might still take this option as I've been following them on the SXOC club for sometime.I know there the best.

dealers an idiot, drop it off at horsham the night before and get a lift back with a friend. Then pick it up with freind or bus. :thumbs:

I would certainly change the the diff and gearbox fluid. Im having it done next week hopefully. I remember reading an independent review about the auto boxes on Mercs and BMWs,and they also state that they are sealed for life,but not changing the fluid will actually do more harm than good. Would you never change your engine oil? Why is the box and diff any different? Both have reciprocating (surprised i spelt that right first time) parts. If you do it,makesure that they are the correct spec,and iv also heard that the genuine Nissan stuff is the best to use. :thumbs: PM Zmanalex for advice on these.

That's very expensive. I just changed my gearbox oil and diff fluid today. Made a vey big difference to the gear change. I bought all my materials from zmanalex alot cheaper than Nissan will do it. Buy the genuine stuff and take it to Horsham.

I had engine oil done, all gearbox and diff oil changed, camber arms fitted and wheel alignment done plus rest of year 5 service. Total cost from garage was 210quid I paid 150 for all the engine fluids, plugs, oils and filter. Without camber arms being fitted and wheel alignment I would have dropped at least 2 hours labour off it.

also if your moaning about sitting around for 3 hours do the engine and diff oil yourself they are easy.

Its not that i'm moaning about sitting around for 3 hours or so.Its not a big deal.Its just not that convenient as I'm busy at work.

Horsham quoted me about 400 or 495 with the coolant changed.

This was for a P3.I doubt this includes transmission and diff change.(although I could be wrong).

I guess I could buy the oil off zmanlex(or whoever) here but i'm sure horsham have all the best oil in stock.

I could have a go at replacing them myself.Never done it before.Guides on here I guess.

Anyway looks like horsham is the way to go.

Thanks for all your quick replies.Appreciated!!

also if your moaning about sitting around for 3 hours do the engine and diff oil yourself they are easy.

Its not that i'm moaning about sitting around for 3 hours or so.Its not a big deal.Its just not that convenient as I'm busy at work.

Horsham quoted me about 400 or 495 with the coolant changed.

This was for a P3.I doubt this includes transmission and diff change.(although I could be wrong).

I guess I could buy the oil off zmanlex(or whoever) here but i'm sure horsham have all the best oil in stock.

I could have a go at replacing them myself.Never done it before.Guides on here I guess.

Anyway looks like horsham is the way to go.

Thanks for all your quick replies.Appreciated!!

seems really expensive though unless that includes spark plugs. Im sure my p3 was 290 odd pound but I supplied my own oil, filter and washer. Why not see if there is a member who can help you on your day off. But if not horsham seems the better option. :thumbs:

Thanks for the quick reply dblock.Yes it does include the spark plugs.I've tried finding a member near me(oxford) but nobody is in the area(or replied)to my recent threads.

Ive been driving round oxford for about 500 miles and I haven't seen one 350z! Good for me as everyone looks at this car and doesn't know what the hell it is(there always looking at the front to see what badge it has!)In fact i've done 1300 miles since I got it and only seen one.This was in the leicester area.

I think there still confused LOL..

Anyway I think my only option is horsham, just feel a bit of a cheapskate bringing my own oil etc.

Thanks again.

Chris

Lockwood & Greenwood in Manchester did my P3 service last week for £211 so your seems a bit expensive. (They do you a 15% discount for 350Z members, which is always a nice recommendation) :thumbs:

They didn't do Gearbox or Diff oil changes though

Gearbox oil doesn't suffer the effects of combustion or heat of engine oil so it doesn't break down, sludge or shear as easily. No harm in changing the oil, but it should last a minimum of 50k providing the seal stays intact.

Pete

just feel a bit of a cheapskate bringing my own oil etc.

It's not about being a cheapskate. It's about having control over the quality of oil that is put in your car. Many garages use what they would tell you is a 'quality' oil that covers all of their customer base and gives them the best margins. A decent independent shouldn't mind you supplying your own oil (they would just mark it up if you asked them to supply it). It's just an enthusiasts choice.

Of course you run the risk of supplying your £50 tub of liquid gold, and finding the boss has put it in his own car and filled yours with vegetable oil, handing back the bottle and saying "all done mate". But then I'm cynical. Although any garage I have had to use in the past has done nothing to persuade me otherwise!

Gearbox oil doesn't suffer the effects of combustion or heat of engine oil so it doesn't break down, sludge or shear as easily. No harm in changing the oil, but it should last a minimum of 50k providing the seal stays intact.

Pete

Cheers pete for the reply.

Problem is I've got 4xP1 and 1xP2 in my service book.No P3's whatsoever.mines on 78000k so probably should change the box and diff.Not sure really.My cars been pretty looked after and the owners just been a bit slack getting the book stamped(his own admission but could be a load of bull!)

Drives like a dream but who knows?

I love this car and just want the best for it, but it really is a minefield out there.

Hopefully a member in the local area might be-able to help me out.

P3 is an annomally. If you read the service schedule listed on the forum somewhere, if you don't have the book, it's the same as a P2. So don't get hooked up on having to have a P3. Normally a dealer will ask for the service book when the car is left to enable them to stamp it. Just asking, how do you know your car has had 4 P1's and a P2 if your book isn't stamped? Also other items fall under mileage/time requirements that are additional to the 'P' services, which are essentially oil & filter changes and inspections. Spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid etc will all require additional requests on top of the 'service' or they won't touch them. They may however recommend them if they know their stuff.

Isn't abbey near you? Agree with what's been said above. I personally don't trust garages but what do they care they allways busy. If you take your oil it's 1 cheaper and 2 your own preference and what's best for the car. It's ment for 5-30 but 5-40 is fine but to save getting in more expensive oil some garages might bung in some 10-40. Also try haggling :thumbs:

Just asking, how do you know your car has had 4 P1's and a P2 if your book isn't stamped?

My book is stamped.its just theres a gap of about 24000miles a couple of years back showing no service. Had a P1 a year ago.