Max Power 350Z Buyers' guide :)

neo

and the carbon propshaft failure....

I've never heard of propshaft failing mate, only one I've ever seen (or heard about or read, on the various forums including the US ones) was the Sumo power one, during a drifting session.

With 700Nm of torque, imo that's as much as the propshaft can bear tbh.

Guest prescience
and the carbon propshaft failure....

I've never heard of propshaft failing mate, only one I've ever seen (or heard about or read, on the various forums including the US ones) was the Sumo power one, during a drifting session.

With 700Nm of torque, imo that's as much as the propshaft can bear tbh.

I thought it was a driveshaft not the propshaft?

from the wiki "In British English, the term "driveshaft" is restricted to a transverse shaft which transmits power to the wheels, especially the front wheels. A driveshaft connecting the gearbox to a rear differential is called a propeller shaft (or more commonly a "prop-shaft") and a driveshaft connecting a rear differential to a rear wheel is usually called a halfshaft. The name derives from the fact that two such shafts are required to form one rear axle."

from the wiki "In British English, the term "driveshaft" is restricted to a transverse shaft which transmits power to the wheels, especially the front wheels. A driveshaft connecting the gearbox to a rear differential is called a propeller shaft (or more commonly a "prop-shaft") and a driveshaft connecting a rear differential to a rear wheel is usually called a halfshaft. The name derives from the fact that two such shafts are required to form one rear axle."

Are you replying to your own posts? :p

Guest prescience

Hey Val I'm not haveing a pop at your words mate

In your terms, I though it was a halfshaft (what I'd call the rear driveshaft) or in blackadder speak, one of the short transverse thingys as opposed to the long longitudinal thingys :p

I just had in my mind a picture of someone holding the broken part and you wouldn't be able to do that with a propshaft - honestly I can't recall

Guest prescience

the Sumo website talks about a CF propshaft - so it must've been that and the old memory failing :blush:

ps I can't edit posts in this forum - the old issue; any chance you can sort that?

This car has only run turbo's, my last one was Vortech'd.

I dont drag the car, and dont do standing starts, but the torque from the kit has obviously had an effect on the driveshafts.

New ones are about twice as thick, and much sturdier. No chance of clicking, either.;)

Just thought Id settle the debate here as to whether the Sumo car snapped its prop shaft or drive shaft.

It was the driveshaft. The shaft from the diff, to the wheels. Not the long carbon shaft running the length of the car.

I have a picture of said snapped shaft, in my mitten...

STA40260.JPG

Its most certainly the driveshaft (well a drive shaft as I know it anyway).

With the torque the pink Z puts out, I could see it snapping a CF propshaft too if pushed though.