No fuel then half a tank?

coldel

DP started up a thread recently about how accurate the readings are on fuel, maybe a fuel pump or some sort of faulty sensor? But what happened to me this morning seemed a lot more extreme though and was wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Started the car up, let it idle for a minute or two then pull away and noticed the DTE had come up automatically on the computer, looked at the fuel gauge which last night showed 1/4 tank and it was in the red with the amber warning light on.

I stopped the car, got out, checked underneath, made sure the fuel cap hadn't been tampered with and nothing. Got back in the car started it up and fuel gauge needle goes up to 1/4 tank. I drive about a mile then stop at some lights, look at the needle and can see it slowly dropping, it dropped almost into the red and I switched off and started up again and pulled away.

The needle then went back up to 1/4 of a tank where it remained until getting to work... :wacko:

Any ideas?

Cheers, might go stick 40 quids worth in to see how it affects it over the next couple of days, might have just been a one off fingers crossed.

£40 ?? ----- that'll put about a fingers depth worth in :bangin:

I noticed my fuel gauge seems to vary the amount of fuel its showing as left depending upon how I drive it.

For example, yesterday it was showing 1/4 tank left when I started it up. I took it for a spin and gave it a bit of stick. The needle on the gauge quickly moved to nearly in the red. But, then when I cruised back through the village at 30mph the needle then moved back up to 1/4 tank left. Ive noticed this several times before so im guessing its normal and the fuel gauge display is some how linked to DTE.

Yep mine also does it, it seems to vary more when there's more fuel in the tank, but when it gets nearer to dte how I drive seems to affect it less (perhaps to remind you that its low and however you drive you're gonna need to fill up soon anyway?)

You can get some big variances though, especially in the computer one. Once I drove my sister's 225 TT from London to Wales, started off saying '280 miles' on the computer as I pulled out of the petrol station before setting off, an hour into a journey on the A40 it had gone up to 400!

The 350 needle one definitely changes though, and before when I have started off on the dte light, it eventually creeps off it after driving carefully for a bit. And sometimes the computer one will show '---' 0 miles left, then I take it somewhere and stop, get back in and turn it on and it says 15 miles left!

Yours jumping from empty to 1/4 is a big jump though, you dont park on a hill overnight do you?

I think mine might have been a one off earlier then, when I restarted the car it went a bit mental but then after a couple of restarts behaved as normal. If a sensor was faulty it would show the incorrect reading all the time I would have thought?

I think mine might have been a one off earlier then, when I restarted the car it went a bit mental but then after a couple of restarts behaved as normal. If a sensor was faulty it would show the incorrect reading all the time I would have thought?

Depends whats wrong with it. Could be an intermitent fault. Just keep an eye on it and it will be fine :thumbs: