Intermittent ABS / TCS and SLIP lights

Rooste

Alright, Some weird happenings lately so looking for some advice.

Last week went through some water and the dash lights came on. Logged in via the ignition/accelerator and found the errors to be with temperature on one of the O2 sensors. Reset with no problems. (Just background info don’t think this is relevant)

This week pottering home in rush hour traffic the ABS, TCS (OFF) and slip lights all came on and stayed on until I got home (10min). Tried to log in via the ignition to get codes but system would not let me in (5+ attempts including using watch).

Eventually lights went off after messing around for 30 min. Pulled away and lights came on in the car park with light braking. Turned off and on again and lights stayed off for two days, checked during this time with light and hard braking but no issues (only short runs).

Had a look underneath and everything looks ok. Pads have about 4 mm left all round on the outside. Fluid levels ok.

So lights stayed off for two days light driving and then came on again yesterday (after a 20 min drive around town). Restart car and lights went off but light braking turned them on again. Left car for another 10 min and lights stayed off……

What do you think guys? Is it the pads? Weird that it seems to only come on once the car heats up… and stays off once the car cools down.

I know this may be of no help but I would go round every plug and socket I could find and pull them apart maybe clean especially if there looks to be damp corrossion etc and re plug back together, The logic controll on auto electrics is all low voltage so very prone to poor contact.. so could well be down to the water you went through a while back...also may go away on its own.....come to think of it it also may get worse, then it may be easier to trace.... thats all.. good luck and lets us all know when you find the problem... :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents update for future ref......

Got the car back to the old mans and the three light were still coming on so hooked up the code reader. Registered a diagnostic code for the abs (P1211 ABS/TCS Control Unit - at a guess)..... apologies lost the bit of paper i scribbled the code on. But sent me poking around the abs sensors and the unit in beside the brake reservoir.... but no luck.

Then had to give my mum a lift to the shop and someone stopped me to tell me my brake lights were not working, seemed to get a very faint glow from the led’s. Checked fuses etc and the two 'micro' switches which are mounted onto the body of the brake pedal. Again could not find the source of the error but this time the lights remained off for an hour of driving.

had another look at the brake pedal switches and looks like there are sticking. Pressed in break peddle with my foot and reached down and flicked the switches in and out a few times rapidly and the error has completely gone for 3 weeks now.....

Nice easy cheap fix!!!!!!!!!! :teeth: