Car cutting out at speed! - Please help!!

Wez21

Hi all!

Please can someone help?

This morning on the way to work whilst changing gear on the A1, decellerating doing approx 50mph my 350z cut out! I had no choice but to put it into 3rd and bump it otherwise would have caused all sorts of problems!!

This happened again at another couple of junctions until I got to work!

Once I managed to get the car into the car park at work the car would not idle correctly, it would be fine with revs on but if left alone (nothing else switched on) it would hover around the 750rpm then erratically drop to 500 ish, then just cut out, car starts again fine!

Car is a 55 plate roadster Uk model.

I have tried searching a bit with the search function but I cant spend too much time looking at work! If anyone can post a link for the full reset procedures of the ECU and the idle position that would be much more than appreciated! To say I crapped myself would be an understatement!!!

Hi,

I habe managed to find the procedure for the ecu reset, the pedal position reset, and the throttle position reset, going to give them a go at lunch time. Thats the strange thing the CEL never came on!!! I have a reader in the car too so will see if that shows anything before I reset anything!!!

Thanks for the reply, any other ideas please let me know!!! :byebye:

it may be crankshaft sensor. this when on its way out has be know to cause erractic revs behaviour

The sensor costs around £65 from Nissan and it should only take a garage about 10 minutes to fit it

Otherwise it could be the MAF sensor, not sure how much these are, have a search here or :pmzmanalex: for a price

Hi,

do you think a run of the mil garage can read this or will it have to be a dealership?

Any garage will be able to read it - its just a standard ODB2 connector in the drivers footwell.

You could even buy a reader off ebay for under £30 and read it yourself... :thumbs:

Well low and behold! Went out to the car during lunch, popped the bonnet to check a few things before resetting, and guess what was lying in the bottom of the bay??? the whole air filter!! so the poor thing did not know what it was doing!!! Once re-fitted it was spot on again!!!!

I checked the fault codes with my OBD reader and nothing had flagged up!!

Thanks for all your help though, its not often something like this turns out to be an easy fix!!! :thumbs:

Well low and behold! Went out to the car during lunch, popped the bonnet to check a few things before resetting, and guess what was lying in the bottom of the bay??? the whole air filter!! so the poor thing did not know what it was doing!!! Once re-fitted it was spot on again!!!!

I checked the fault codes with my OBD reader and nothing had flagged up!!

Thanks for all your help though, its not often something like this turns out to be an easy fix!!! :thumbs:

Oh dear.....how that happen?

well thats the funny thing, it would not go back on without taking the jubilee clip off, it was still tight. It looks like the collar has cracked and it has popped off with the heat. I normally check the tightness when I check the oil on a weekly basis and it seemed fine???? I have had to put some tape over the collar so its not sucking through!