Sunday Afternoons Efforts - Pictures

Peter10

I spent most of Saturday testing out some new kit on my parents cars, mainly because I didn't want to play with the new Kestral DAS6 on the Zed first B). My mum drives a Green Peugeot 307, nothing special but could look nice if looked after... which is isn't. I found half a beach on the wheel arches, sand stones and mud which I managed to get rid of with a combination of Snowfoam, elbow grease and the pressure washer.

I wish I took photos of the work on that car as I was pretty surprised about the results (as was my mum). I managed to get rid of a lot of scratches as swirl marks caused by all the usual suspects.

So, after practising, I mean doing the parents a favour, it was time for the Zed. I've taken pictures as much as I could, but needed to get on so missed a few. Pictures were taken on an iPhone, they came out pretty good considering. Products used all in Blue.

I started off using my Snowfoam & Lance (care of Tim at Envy). Pictures were taken after 10 minutes or so, so most had drained off the car.

IMG_0397.jpg

Proof the stuff works, pulled loads of grime off the wheels and body:

IMG_0401.jpg

Rinsed it off quickly with the pressure washer.

Washed with my wool mitt using the two bucket method. I used Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner. Quick rinse off and thought as I would be polishing I would give it a good going over with some clay. Using a Turtle Wax Refine & Shine Clay Bar I did the bonnet first. Here is what came off after only half the bonnet:

IMG_0406.jpg

I spent a good hour or more claying, I was quite surprised as the amount of grime that came off, but I do live on busy road and the driveway needs to be done so it is fairly muddy at the moment.

What happens when you drop 1/4 of a bar on the floor and loose your rag:

IMG_0396.jpg

Time for the wheels, probably the dirtiest part of the car. I plan to take them off before Japfest and give them a really good going over. Two need to be refurbished due to kerb marks done by the previous owner, but I won't be able to get them done before the meet. I used Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner for this job. Sprayed it on and agitated with an alloy wheel brush and left for a few minutes to cut into the dirt.

IMG_0402.jpg

Rinsed off the wheels and the rest of the car, used some microfibre towels I got from eBay to dry the car. They were about £6 each and one does the whole car, but two speeds up the job nicely. I then gave a quick going over with a microfibre cloth on the wheels. Then used Smartwax Rimwax and dressed the tyres using Turlewax Tyre Dressing. Makes them black, but not sticky looking.

IMG_0405.jpg

Windows cleaned with RainX cleaner & rain replant.

So, now for the long haul, Polishing. I didn't expect wonders and took it fairly easy for the first go on the Zed. You can see the old owner concentrated on the bonnet, boot and the front wings heavily when washing because that was were all the swirl marks were. I managed to get rid of some which was a result. I tried to take pictures but they were difficult to capture.

I used my Kestral DAS6 and a 3m Yellow pad. I used Menzerma Power Finish but I think something with more cut would have been better or quicker. Either way, I got the results in the end, they just took a while :lol:.

Finished off using Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Wax

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Shiny!

IMG_0417.jpg

If I remember, I will give it a quick once over with some Dodo Juice Red Mist before work tomorrow. In the end it was about 4 hours of work. I haven't done the interior as by the time I had finished with the exterior, I had some nasty sunburn :dry:.

This is my last full weekend off before Japfest, with only a couple of weekdays off here and there, so I needed to get it as nice as possible now, so I can give it a quick going over the day before. I am pretty chuffed with the results, except that my polisher has packed up, hopefully just the fuse, but if not, it's going back. Not impressed :angry:.

Pete

Cheers all. It's pretty surprising how much of a difference using the polisher made. Unfortunately it is going back ASAP as it has packed up working. Checked the fuse etc but no joy.

I found a tiny dent in the drivers door today. It is smaller than a 5p coin and its hardly noticeable, but in the sun it can be seen :dry:.