350Z Banana bar/compression rod...how to diagnose?

terribleone

Ok, I have the dreaded rattle/clatter from the passenger side front wheel area. I've taken the car to my friend's garage and had a good poke about underneath, which brought up nothing...so I've had a search on here and would like to run this by anyone who has had a similar problem. The symptoms are;

- Rattling/clunking sound, sounds as if something is 'loose' and about to fall off. A very repetetive sound when it occurs ie. a constant rattle until you're onto a smooth surface... not just one or two clunks.

- Most audible at speeds below 30mph, and on rough roads.

- Fades away or completely disappears under braking.

- Disappears under left foot braking.

- Easily overlooked or completely undetectable when the car is on a ramp and the suspension manipulated with a pry bar.

My money is on the ball joint end of the banana bar/compression rod...but I'd like some second opinions before parting with a big wad of cash for a new one!! :thumbs:

Ok, I have the dreaded rattle/clatter from the passenger side front wheel area. I've taken the car to my friend's garage and had a good poke about underneath, which brought up nothing...so I've had a search on here and would like to run this by anyone who has had a similar problem. The symptoms are;

- Rattling/clunking sound, sounds as if something is 'loose' and about to fall off. A very repetetive sound when it occurs ie. a constant rattle until you're onto a smooth surface... not just one or two clunks.

- Most audible at speeds below 30mph, and on rough roads.

- Fades away or completely disappears under braking.

- Disappears under left foot braking.

- Easily overlooked or completely undetectable when the car is on a ramp and the suspension manipulated with a pry bar.

My money is on the ball joint end of the banana bar/compression rod...but I'd like some second opinions before parting with a big wad of cash for a new one!! :thumbs:

No big wad of cash require mate :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=43455

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=43456

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=43458

If the bush is gone then just a visual inspection will determine that.

The ball joint can be checked for movement with a pry bar and/or by jacking up and rocking the wheel.

Let me know if I can help you further. :thumbs:

All in stock and good to go same/next day. :yahoo:

Alex. :)

I'm about to do mine - the bushes are filled with silicon goo and on mine its just started to leak out. You maybe able to see if yours are the same just by going on full lock and checking.

Alex, what are those cone shaped things in the last link - where do they go?

I'm about to do mine - the bushes are filled with silicon goo and on mine its just started to leak out. You maybe able to see if yours are the same just by going on full lock and checking.

Alex, what are those cone shaped things in the last link - where do they go?

They go on the ball joint stem to create a taper to fit in the hole in the hub carrier. :thumbs:

We are going to be seeing alot of this problems as most cars are getting to that age were the mushy bushes are deteriorating to produce noticeable play.

I have just started a thead to cover what everything one would need to know before deciding on the best solution to replace the bush(es) at fault.

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=47058

But on thing i would say is if you track your car or it is lowered then you need to be thinking at solid bushes from SPL USA, same one Abbey now carry or urethane bush from Superpro UK, because the OEM stlye rubber will tear again due to the banana arm siting an angle when lowered rather than neutral.

For normal zed then the option of using this OEM style provided by Alex is perfect and cheap to buying the whole arm new from Nissan but you could still go for Superpro urethane bush for better longevity and firmer feel.

Well, less of a wad of cash...£250 would fuel my car for a month! :lol:

My mechanic had the car up on a ramp, checked everything with a pry bar and wobbled the wheels to check for play...he didn't notice anything, so is it quite hard to notice any movement? I've read of people changing several parts before getting to the compression arm, if it was that obvious I guess you'd notice straight away?? :wacko:

Cheers for the replies! :thumbs:

Well, less of a wad of cash...£250 would fuel my car for a month! :lol:

if it was that obvious I guess you'd notice straight away?? :wacko:

Absolutely, providing they know what they are looking for mate. :thumbs: