Hissing GTI any ideas people?

Roo

Don't know if any of you chaps can help. Mate with a golf GTI is making a slight a hissing noise - he thinks it is coming from the cam cover and thinks the gasket has gone.

The question is is there preasure in that top part of the engine that would result in the gentle hissing. He has eliminated breather pipes & turbo so is running out of ideas.

He is getting a small amounn of oil round the top of the spark plugs (not the bit that is in the cylinder) which he thinks might indicate a gasket leak in where the cam cover attaches but we are not sure if air in this area is under preassure - or why it wouldn’t vent through a breather (breather is clear an new). Idle is a bit interemittent but nothing drastic.

Ideas people?

The whole engine will be under positive pressure when on boost, I assume the hissing there on idle too? If that's the case, then there's probably a leak somewhere and given the oil in the spark plug wells, it's safe to assume there's a small leak there. I'm guessing there's no warranty left?

Which mark of golf is it MK4,5 or 6? Hissing sounds like a boost leak...

The oil is around the plugs this is outside of the coil packs, is that right?

When you say hes eliminated the other pipes? How did he test this? When does the hissing occur? Under load/boost? at idle?

I would strongly recommend from my experiences that I had with a MK4 1.8T which I modded, get it properly boost tested. either get a boost test kit yourself and test (you can even make one, checkout 'mighty mods boost tester' on youtube) or get it done by a tuning shop.

Breathers have been recently replaced i believe. Dunno about turbo pipes but the hissing happens on idle so no boost.

Its a mk4 i think dom and oil is where you say i believe. Not sure how related it is.

Couldnt find any snakes ;)

Ill have a word tomorrow.

Breathers have been recently replaced i believe. Dunno about turbo pipes but the hissing happens on idle so no boost.

Its a mk4 i think dom and oil is where you say i believe. Not sure how related it is.

Couldnt find any snakes ;)

Ill have a word tomorrow.

If its hissing on Idle I would check the vacuum pipe that goes to the recirculation valve (aka dump valve), these pipes get really hot and are know to often split with old age. Give them a wiggle if they are really hard its prob best to replace them with silicone hoses. Other stuff to check would be the pipes to the N75 valve and the PVC valve....

Yeah the oil might not be related TBH

It might be worth you mate going to the fourm - http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/

Its where I used to swot up on my Golf when I had it...

All the best with it.