How the Hell do you get an Accurate reading frm the DipStick

350matty

I check mine like this - works every time:

- After the engine has reached operating temp, park on flat ground, and shut of the engine.

- After 15 minutes, pull out the dipstick and wipe clean with a cloth.

- Re-insert the dipstick, and immediately remove it again (using your left hand) - as soon as it is half way removed grab the middle of the dipstick (using the cloth) with your right hand (this steadys the dipstick and stops oil from getting where it shouln't), and continue to remove the dipstick completely and tilt it horizontal - hey presto you can read it.

If you check it when cold, it's easier, but you won't get a true reading since the oil is thicker. whether the difference is worth bothering about is up to you.

How wont you get a true reading if its cold??? its the same amount of oil in there, if anything it will be a more accurate reading, as all of the motors oil will be in the sump.

Because when the oil is cold, it is thicker, taking up less volume. By waiting 15 mins the warm / thin oil will have drained back to the sump, and you will get a true reading.

If your oil level was at halfway on the dipstick when cold, and you fill it to the max level - there is a chance that when the oil is at operating temperature that you will be above the max level - essentially meaning that you have overfilled :thumbdown:

Nissan and other car manufacturers tell you in the user manuals to check the oil level when the oil is at operating temperature for a reason :)

Anyway, my point was just to explain how I check the oil (following the recommended procedure) and still manage to get a reading on the dipstick without problems :)

I was always told to check the oil when cold because the volume of oil will increase as it heats. I agree it is also easier to rread when cold.

I do not understand why a manufacturer would recommend checking the oil at normal operating temperature because what is normal operating temperature!

The oil will still be cooler on a car in Norway when the cooling fan cuts in than one in Spain! Normal operating temperature is a reflection of engine coolant not oil.

The oil will be hotter if you have just driven 30 miles than if you have left the car idling on your driveway but both could be considered at 'normal operating temperature'!

From a safety point of view, when you check your oil you usually check your washer fluid level and coolant. Why would a manufacturer encourage you to check your engine bay levels when there is the risk of being covered in hot coolant? Do they expect you to check the coolant when the car is cold then go back out when it is hot to check the oil?

Do they expect you to check the coolant when the car is cold then go back out when it is hot to check the oil?

yes - as stated in all car manuals. Same as your supposed to check tyre pressures when the the tyres are cold - big question is how do you get to a garage without heating the tyres - teleport?

normal operating temperature is usually assumed to be when the radiator cooling fan cuts in - this can happen whether it's idling or your driving along (unless you fitted a nismo thermostat).

Checking the oil on the 07 HR engine looks a whole lot easier now that they moved the dipstick though.

Cant get an accurate reading on the oil level. The stick is strange. Please can anyone help?

Tried and get diff readings. Mostly over MAX.

Done like 4k miles with out toppping up. Just a bit worried!

thnks

4K miles without topping up? I've used nearly 2 litres and I haven't done 4K yet. Is this normal or is my car using an excessive amount of oil?

Cant get an accurate reading on the oil level. The stick is strange. Please can anyone help?

Tried and get diff readings. Mostly over MAX.

Done like 4k miles with out toppping up. Just a bit worried!

thnks

4K miles without topping up? I've used nearly 2 litres and I haven't done 4K yet. Is this normal or is my car using an excessive amount of oil?

I,ve read something about the 06 models having issues with oil consumption.. cant find where though now :dry:

This is from Wiki :-

"Widespread issues with engines consuming their own oil at abnormal rates, more significantly in the 2006 "RevUp" edition of the VQ35 engine. Nissan currently is replacing engines that are brought in and found to consume 1 or more litres per 1000 miles, but has not issued a recall as of October 2006."

Woah!!! Yes its using an excessive amount. Mine hasn't need a top up yet between services

This is from Wiki :-

"Widespread issues with engines consuming their own oil at abnormal rates, more significantly in the 2006 "RevUp" edition of the VQ35 engine. Nissan currently is replacing engines that are brought in and found to consume 1 or more litres per 1000 miles, but has not issued a recall as of October 2006."

Thanks for this. I think I'll give it a couple more K miles and see if it stabilises, if not then I'll bring it to the attention of the stealer.

• 2 months later...

I can confirm

Reading that dipstick is a nightmare :rant:

With my previous car it was 100 times easier.

Right now it goes like:

take out dipstick (covered with oil from top to bottom)

wipe clean

put back dipstick

take out dipstick

dipstick again covered with oil from top to bottom :rant:

Just wondering, cant we "derive" the oil level from the oil pressure when idling the engine at operating temperature?
If you work on the principle that a reduction in oil pressure at idle speed is equal to a reduction in oil level, then the chances are that you will incur serious engine wear/damage before you are aware of the need to top up :scare:

I check my oil every weekend because as I have mentioned in other threads, mine is using it at a rate of about 0.5 litres per 1000 miles :( I've therefore had plenty of practice at dipping the oil and it gets easier the more you do it.