Wireless bridge/router help

Sam Mcgoo

I thought I'd ask on here as people seem to know stuff, and I'm getting bored/frustrated searching various av and internet forums without luck.

I think the main question I'm asking is - can I use a cable router/access point (Buffalo Wireless-N300 Cable Router) as a wireless bridge to my ASDL wireless router (Orange livebox) ?

The reason I ask is I want to connect my Sony Blueray player to the internet wirelessly and have some spare ports for future equipment connection.

I bought the Buffalo Wireless-N300 Router after reading somewhere that it would do the job as a wireless bridge but failed to notice that it was a 'cable router' :blush: Does it matter? Cause I was having problems.

A "Cable Router" means that it's expecting to have a cable modem plugged in to 1 of it's ports to connect to the internet for ISPs like Virgin who supply you through, surprise surprise, a cable.

I'm not sure the specs of the blu ray player, do you mean it only has a physical port and you want to go from physical to wireless? What are you hoping to achieve by having the bluray player connected to the internet?

I'm not sure the specs of the blu ray player, do you mean it only has a physical port and you want to go from physical to wireless? What are you hoping to achieve by having the bluray player connected to the internet?

Its a Sony BDP S370. http://www.whathifi.com/review/Sony-BDP-S370/

Yes it only has a physical port. You can get a Sony wireless dongle for it but it's expensive and apparently is not great. I would like to access the online content and use the iplayer, youtube etc.....and also have the facility to connect other equipment to my livebox which is located at the opposite end of the house. I thought this 'bridge may enable me to do it.

Get something like this and put it in "wireless client mode"

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=346

There are a few on the market have a search :thumbs:

I will have a look, cheers. I would like to see if I could get this working though as I've already got it and cause of it's multiple inputs.

Have you got thee exact model number of the router you have e.g WHR-G300NV2-EU as some of the Buffalo versions support bridging and some don't.

I'm not at home at the moment but I'm pretty sure its WHR-G300N V2, I got ot from here: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/201376

I'm sure it has a bridge mode and it has a switch for it. I just couldn't get it working.

When plugged into my ASDL Livebox using ethernet cable and I run the setup, I was able to connect to buffalo wirelessly on my laptop. However, when I plugged my laptop into the buffalo I couldn't get the buffalo to connect to the Livebox wirelessly.

I just wondered if it was a cable/asdl problem? but the fact it worked when it was physically plugged into the livebox made me think it should work and that I'm just not setting it up right? :wacko: