BMW Z4 AND Z4 M test drive.......

D4V3 GT4

Started off last week with a drive out in the Z4 3.0i coupe, after reading an article in EVO staying that the M version wasn't worth an extra 10k.

Anyway nice car and does drive well, fantastic gear box, a lot smaller than the Zed, it's tiny inside and very basic.

A great car but wasn't any better than the Zed if anything the Zed feels quicker, and I think has the edge looks wise. So all in all a great car but definitely no better than the zed, you could argue the BM is better built, you get that

clunk when closing the door etc, but the real thing against for me is the fact that its a BMW.

Told the salesmen that I liked the car but didn't feel I was moving up the ladder just moving to the side, and the BMW thing was putting me off. He asked me to try the M roadster (didn't have a coupe) so booked a drive for Saturday.

Went round on Saturday and took out the M!

**** ME THAT CAR IS AWESOME!!!!!!

It's everything you want the Zed to be, the sound, the power everything and it looks top as well with those power bulges ion the bonnet!

This car is very raw a real real drivers car, I know for a fact that any Zed diver will be BLOWN away with this car, forget the fact that it's BMW and just take it for what it really is, probably one of the best cars you'll ever drive!!!! Its that good!

Is it worth an extra 14k........ you'd expect a little more as standard for the extra cash but that engine is just amazing, and I'd rather drive this than a second hand 911.

BOOK A TEST DRIVE!!!!!!!!!

DaveH

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate, this car is awsome and I'm not sure how yet but I MUST HAVE ONE!!

Remeber the first time you smiled while driving the Zed, well times that by 10, even if you don't plan on getting one just book a test drive, just so you can understand what I'm stayng!

As for the badge issue, it works both ways, you bought the Zed because the car is fantastic not for the fact it was a Nissan.

If you love cars you'll appreciate it for what it is, a fantastic machine!!

DaveH

If its the M3 engine, take it with a grain of salt.

BMW claimed 343hp for its E46 M3. I ve seen some runs on a dyno, there isnt one single one out there that actually produces those 343 horses :headhurt:

Most of them are at least 20 horses short of that number

I've had mine speced, at just over 42k which gets me an ipod conector, stereo upgrade and special leather and that's it, you can go on for ever and spend loads more but thats not what the cars about.

ir-fuel: your missing the point mate, if they told me it was pushing 300 it wouldn't matter, I've driven it, and it's a fu5king beast!

42k? Sh1t the bed! Sounds like a decent motor but... 42k? GULP :wacko:

I know what your saying Steve, it's a lot of lolly but it is that good, when you consider a decent spec new TT is 34 -36k, and the zed, as beatuful as it is, and also the bargain it is! there's just not enough power for me anymore, and without going the EVO route, or second hand 911 or sticking a super charger on.

The only thing I might do is just wait six months and try and grap a used one.

DaveH

42k? Sh1t the bed! Sounds like a decent motor but... 42k? GULP :wacko:

The only thing I might do is just wait six months and try and grap a used one.

DaveH

That was my plan. BMW M-cars are heavy depreciators..... :dry:

ir_fuel , nissan say 350z has 287hp, on a dyno 250 is more realistic!!!

250 rear-wheel horsepower you mean. The numbers given by any manufacturer are cranck hp. I saw some dynoruns of a Z on the German forum and the crankshaft hp is quite accurate. With transmission losses you end up with 250 hp on the wheels ;)

Guest prescience

The vast majority of UK Zeds which have been dynoed have given 230-240 BHp at the wheels (this is where it is measured) - with varying minor modifications. Typically 17-18% is added to produce flywheel (crank) hp :thumbs:

Guest prescience
Normally they can also measure transmission losses on a dyno, as to calculate correct crank hp. The M3's hp i was referring to was crank-hp

But they measure those using 'coast-down' method and I think that is dubious. During coast-down, the engine is disengaged from the drivetrain, so if for example, you did a run and measured coast-down at say 40Hp; then bolted a supercharger on, did a run and measured coast-down again it would still be 40hp, so the transmission losses would be the same.

That cannot be correct?

Normally they can also measure transmission losses on a dyno, as to calculate correct crank hp. The M3's hp i was referring to was crank-hp

But they measure those using 'coast-down' method and I think that is dubious. During coast-down, the engine is disengaged from the drivetrain, so if for example, you did a run and measured coast-down at say 40Hp; then bolted a supercharger on, did a run and measured coast-down again it would still be 40hp, so the transmission losses would be the same.

That cannot be correct?

Yes it is, its what you say, transmission losses, so the losses AFTER you "quit" the engine compartment. It does not need to count losses inside the engine itself.

Guest prescience

You must lose more power through the transmission the higher the power you put into it - that's basic engineering isn't it? The losses cannot be independent of the input

Its the engine-drivetrain boundary loss I am getting at

Anyway, this is for another thread.

Stick a supercharger on your Z and then compare it to the Z4M for performance :thumbs:

always struck me as a ladies car :headhurt: as everyone I see round my way is driven by one ;)

The Z3 was a ladies car the Z3 M Coupe was a mans car, the Z4 Roadster is arguably a ladies car, the Z4 M coupe is a bearded axe swinger raw meat eating drinks petrol from the pump mans car!

Or a lady who wants to be a mans car!

always struck me as a ladies car :headhurt: as everyone I see round my way is driven by one ;)

The Z3 was a ladies car the Z3 M Coupe was a mans car, the Z4 Roadster is arguably a ladies car, the Z4 M coupe is a bearded axe swinger raw meat eating drinks petrol from the pump mans car!

lets hope so Dave , or else you'll be getting strange looks driving about in one ;)

Could you explain me then:

What makes a Z3 a ladies car and a Z3 M Coupe a mans car?

The fact that Dave wants to buy one! :teeth::p

The fact that Dave wants to buy one! :teeth::p

:lol: