Benifits of Uprev on my S/C Zed?

Sam Mcgoo

Hi Guys of Abbey,

I've had my S/C Zed a few months now and loving it. I do a fair bit of spirited road driving and in the very near future I'll be taking it on the track. For piece of mind I'm thinking of a trip down to you for a bit of a S/C health check and make sure everything is running as it should ( Boost, AFR's etc).

The car is known to you ( previous reg J6KED) as I have various receipts of work carried out by you for the previous owner, including the installation of the Vortech kit, Kinetix SSV etc...

From what I can make out, the tuning was done solely using the Vortech Split Second Timing Box.

I'm interested to know if there would be any benefit of having Uprev done? Or if it even can be done with the SST box fitted ?

I feel the car is fast enough (for now ;) ) so longevity is high on my priority list, but if a few more ponies could be found safely that would be a bonus. :)

Also, would I be right in thinking Uprev would remove the speed limiter and give me 100% throttle in all gears?

Car is a 54 UK GT with the following engine mods;

Vortech V2 S/C Kit

Autosportwiring ECU harness

Split-second timing ECU piggyback

Kinetix SSV Inlet Manifold

Invidia true dual exhaust

Kinetix HF Cats

Denso Iridium one-step colder plugs

JWT Oil pan spacer

Pneumatic engine damper

Thanks,

Sam. :)

What size pulley are you using?

Pretty sure you will see better more efficient gains if you let uprev and mark take control

Not sure :blush: I assume just the standard 3.33. Can I literally go and measure it ?

EDIT - feel silly now :blush: Just had a look and it's stamped on the pulley. 3.33

It will say on the pulley what it is. If a i had to guess i think you will be running the 3.33. So if you went with uprev you would get a nice smooth tune and totally customised to your car

If you wanted more boost then you will need to drop down a size but then you will need to get a new belt. I probably should of went with the 3.33 and got a more efficient tune...but i went all out and stuck with 2.87 which in hindsight was a bad move

It will say on the pulley what it is. If a i had to guess i think you will be running the 3.33. So if you went with uprev you would get a nice smooth tune and totally customised to your car

If you wanted more boost then you will need to drop down a size but then you will need to get a new belt. I probably should of went with the 3.33 and got a more efficient tune...but i went all out and stuck with 2.87 which in hindsight was a bad move

Thanks for the input Nurrish.

Yeah, I think the 3.33 pulley is enough for now. Just wondering if the Uprev would see any worthwhile gains over the SST box without risking longevity.

Almost definite you will see an improvement as uprev takes control over every aspect of the s/c and cars performance. I will leave it for mark to put his 2p in but no reason why you shouldnt go for uprev...plus you will have your limiter removed

+1

I looked into all the options when I was going down the S/C route and this definitely came up as the best way to go.

Sam,

I need to have alook at the last set of dyno plot for your ca r, but I would say changing over to Uprev will definitely be a postive move.

The split second module is a little old fashioned in my eyes.

But if you go over to Uprev we will need to do a little more work I am afraid it wont be just a remap.

From my memory your car just boost's the stock fuel pressure to add fuel for boost this is done with a in line fuel pump, this sint the saefest way, I know you had no hassle but things change over time.When we either build/tune a FI car we advise to do the following

Uprated fuel pump

return fuel system

larger injectors

Uprated air flow meter if needed

Uprev remap of stock ECU .(remap throttle to give same response in all gears , raise speed limit

raise rpm limit slightly , remap igntion/fuel maps)

Will it be better yes I feel we will gain a lot more driveability , better throttle response more fuel economy and be a lot safer in my eyes.

I have a look at the dyno plots later and comment a little more.

any more questions ask away.

Mark

Sam,

I need to have alook at the last set of dyno plot for your ca r, but I would say changing over to Uprev will definitely be a postive move.

The split second module is a little old fashioned in my eyes.

But if you go over to Uprev we will need to do a little more work I am afraid it wont be just a remap.

From my memory your car just boost's the stock fuel pressure to add fuel for boost this is done with a in line fuel pump, this sint the saefest way, I know you had no hassle but things change over time. So from a safety point of view this is the greatest concern ?

When we either build/tune a FI car we advise to do the following

Uprated fuel pump Walbro 255? would this be a 341 or 342?

return fuel system I'll have to have a read up on that :wacko:

larger injectors What would you recommend? I've seen some APS 500cc for a good price?

Uprated air flow meter if needed Not planing a large increase in power at the moment so will oem be ok?

Uprev remap of stock ECU .(remap throttle to give same response in all gears , raise speed limit

raise rpm limit slightly , remap igntion/fuel maps) Very interested in this.

Will it be better yes I feel we will gain a lot more driveability , better throttle response more fuel economy and be a lot safer in my eyes. As I said longevity is my primary concern, any gains would be great :thumbs:

I have a look at the dyno plots later and comment a little more. That would be great if you could, thanks

any more questions ask away. Could I possibly get an idea of costs for all the above please? Parts and labour separate if its not too much trouble. (PM if you like)

In the mean time as fuelling is the greatest concern, what sort of AFR's should I be seeing? I Think I'm getting mid to low 12's at WOT. Also if I was to fit one more gauge to the car what would you suggest? Fuel pressure?

Thanks,

Sam

Mark

Sam,

just walking out of the office 500cc injectors are only good for around 400ish BHP , I would go larger something like 600/750cc so we not up around/above 90% injector duty.

I will work prices out , but I am happier supplying the whole kit as I know they will work all together.But I am away from the office until tuesday next week can you wait until then?

Mark

Sam,

just walking out of the office 500cc injectors are only good for around 400ish BHP , I would go larger something like 600/750cc so e not up around 90% injector duty.

I will work prices out , but I am happier supplying the whole kit as I know they will work all together.But I am away from the office until tuesday next week can you wait until then?

Mark

Yeah Mark that's fine. It'll give me a chance to have a read up on your recommendations. If you can give me a shout when you've got some numbers and/or info that would be great. :thumbs:

Sam.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Mark,

I've managed to source most of the parts I need i.e. Walbro 255, modified pump hanger, 600cc injectors and Return fuel system.

I will soon be contacting you to get booked in for the UpRev :yahoo: and maybe fitting some of the parts if I bottle it. :blush:

A question if I may.....I currently have Kinetix HFC fitted but I'm considering decats/testpipes for a little extra noise as the Invidia G200 is fairly quiet. Would there be much of a performance gain in fitting them over the HFC? (I would only be talking standard 'el cheapo' ones)

Cheers,

Sam