Working Xtrail NAVI unit in JDM

michaelwr

N15MNO did you get it working ????? I bought a DVD player with disc out of a Primera, but as I've still a long wait to get my car I can't try it yet. It didn't cost much so was worth chancing it.

If anyone wants to get hold of an X-trail SAT NAV simpson bros salvage at York have some although I'm not sure how much they cost !

N15MNO did you get it working ????? I bought a DVD player with disc out of a Primera, but as I've still a long wait to get my car I can't try it yet. It didn't cost much so was worth chancing it.

If anyone wants to get hold of an X-trail SAT NAV simpson bros salvage at York have some although I'm not sure how much they cost !

Hi..nope it didnt work.. the dvd player was non functional.. i sent it back and got a refund from the salvage company.. they put back on ebay 2 days later and sold it for £0.99 ..was advertised as broken dvd sat nav..

Make sure if u buy any dvd sat nav that they offer at least 30 day warranty & postage insurance.

• 1 month later...

My new Zed has sat nav (jap) and from reading this thread I've been on the lookout for a xtrail navi unit. I've read another thread where someone said a primera DVD unit will fit - can anyone clarify the following as it might be useful for other import zed owners:

Xtrail Navi or Primera DVD unit will work?

Both give Sat nav and DVD R?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I don't know if any of you have seen this already, but i have bought an insert for my JDM which effectively replaces the screen with an off the shelf sat-nav.

I bought a unit from a guy on ebay who is manufacturing them. It fits nicely in the hole left by the screen (once dismantled!!) I have a sony sat nav unit which fits into the unit. It looks like an inbuilt sat nav but you obviously lose the dvd/tv functions!

It took me and my brother a while to install but most of our time was spent trying to get a power feed which would work with the switch on the plastic panel. Just took a feed from the ciggy lighter in the end and ran a wire through the center console.

I'll take some photos and post them on, see what you think.

(got the unit for £50 but i reckon the cost will go down if the guy keeps producing them)!!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to getting some pics.

The ebayer i bought the insert from is called 'satnavsolutions' however i haven't seen one on sale for a while.

The sony (nav-u82) unit cost me £175 but you can get it cheaper if you shop around (or get it from ebay). The insert cost me £50.

It was relatively easy to install too, I tried to get a power feed from the micro switch attached to the cubby lid. It didn't work. I also tried to take a feed from the original ISO connector, but i realised that wouldn't work as I needed to keep the transformer on the power supply.

Ended up buying a ciggy lighter extension for 3 quid. Took the power from the power outlet behind the seats, under the centre console and up he side of the stereo (pretty easy in the end).

The unit simply screws to the metal screen holder.

Anyway, here are the pics....

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Having read the "X-Trail nav unit working" idea here and on other forums I tried it for my self with an x-trail dvd rom unit off ebay. Whoever got it to work, I'd like to know how they managed to connect the car's harness to the back of the unit. There is no common interface to simply plug the car's leads into the back of the x-trail unit, as the back of the uk x-trail unit is completely different to the jdm unit. Dismal failure so its going back on ebay. :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

Allright fella - have been hanging round in other forums up until this week - interestingly i did this conversion too - but for some reason I don't get any sound from mine!! :angry:

Does your JDM still have the bose head unit installed? if not was your replacement headunit installed with plugs or butchered from the loom? On delivery mine had an aftermarket Alpine unit and when I stripped it out some fool had cut all the JDm plugs of and wired into the loom - only thing I can think is that the missed the cables to the speakers from the sat-nav?

Any ideas there fella?:bang:

Cheers

paul

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Erm, I have an X-Trail unit, the 2 plugs fit into it (and the small one (GPS?))... But for some reason, know how the tv screen usually comes on when the cubby is opened, well it dont... Its not the sat nav thats duff either coz it dont do it with the original JDM now either... Any sugggestions? Before I break it... Cheers...

• 9 years later...