%%$*!!! Curbed OS alloys badly tonight!!!

GT4 Zed

Just went out to town tonight to restock for the New year ;) Was driving 15-20mph when a truck moved accross into my lane to clear a stationary car half parked on the road and kerb. I had anticipated this so i was already squeezing quite close to the OS kerb but for some reason he appeared to have given too much room to clear the parked car and was going to scrape my zed so i swerved even closer to the curb as there was still some unmelted snow hugging the kerb which fooled me into thinking there was still some room...................all i felt was the front wheel then the rear hitting and riding the kerb briefly but not before the sickenning sound of alloys meeting concrete :surrender::scare:

I drove back home immediately cancelling the shopping and have only partly assessed the damage :blackeye: But worryingly the steering feels off and i hope its nothing more than the alignment that has been knocked out from the very precise track settings :teeth:

Will check the full damage and report on Thursday :bang: Can't believe i survived the heavy snow for this :dry:

Bad times Bennett, looks like you're joining the fooked alloy club. You should see the state of mine after my sideways battle with the black ice. I need to clean them tomorrow and it will grieve me to look at them, so I feel your pain, more so that you have aftermarket alloys.

Have a drink and it's not so painful!

If it makes you feel any better, leaving my street the other day (which never gets gritted) I went round the final corner at a rip roaring speed of 15mph when my A3 decided sideways was the best option (compacted snow turned to glassy ice). I bounced off the curb on the rear doing this:

73e7f2f3.jpg

and bounced off the front alloy doing this:

IMAG0298.jpg

Happy days!!!

If it makes you feel any better, leaving my street the other day (which never gets gritted) I went round the final corner at a rip roaring speed of 15mph when my A3 decided sideways was the best option (compacted snow turned to glassy ice). I bounced off the curb on the rear doing this:

73e7f2f3.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

Happy days!!!

jebus, thats one bad kerbing :scare:

73e7f2f3.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

Happy days!!!

jebus, thats one bad kerbing :scare:

It is bad and if it had happened in my 370 I would have cried. I'm really not sure why the alloy fell apart, it's genuine Audi, the only thing I can think is that it was so cold that night around -7c that it became brittle and fell off upon impact :lol: I would understand an alloy falling apart like that had it been 30mph+. I total that minor kerbing incident at £410 (new tie rod, tracking and full set of alloys) :console:

Anyway GT4 Zed, get the tracking done and fingers crossed nothing else will need doing mate :thumbs:

I'm really not sure why the alloy fell apart, it's genuine Audi, the only thing I can think is that it was so cold that night around -7c that it became brittle and fell off upon impact :lol: I would understand an alloy falling apart like that had it been 30mph+. I total that minor kerbing incident at £410 (new tie rod, tracking and full set of alloys) :console:

Anyway GT4 Zed, get the tracking done and fingers crossed nothing else will need doing mate :thumbs:

Wheels are made from cast aluminum so do not flex/bend very much before breaking, just like the plenums (not mentioning any names) they crack if you over tighten the bolts.

Hope you all get your wheels sorted soon

A similar thing happened to me on a country lane the other night....

A 4x4 was avoiding a snow mound and forced me over to what looked like a grass verge covered in shrubbs, it turned out a nice kerb was hidden in the shrubs so the NSF wheel went crunch.... Its knocked the alignment out very slightly luckily I never got round to refurbing the wheel in the summer so it's some additional damage to fix when the weather gets better and a trip to the 4 wheel laser alignment centre......again :dry:

Good luck getting yours sorted mate!!!

Thanks fellas. i feel better already :thumbs:

checked the damage today and its not so bad.

1- superficial circumferential kerbbing to both OS wheels with a dent on on spot in the rear wheel edge were it took the brunt of the impact. Both wheels refurbishable easily. i have a spare rear and front wheel anyway :p

2- Bent Eibach rear camber arm. Needs replacing :thumbdown: They are engineered to bend this way to save the other suspension components :D

3- Loose Eibach toe bolt. just needs adjusting and tightenning when i redo geometry :thumbs:

Phhhheeeeewwww........ it could have been worse :p Erything else checks ok front and rear. Will have to order new or used Eibach or Ichiba camber arms and may as well get engine/tranny mounts and uprated urethane bushes all round as mine look very gone :p

some pics:

See rear wheel in +ve camber and toeing in as result of bent camber arm.

IMG_1557.jpg

Bent camber arm. Amazing how much rusting/salt corrossion to it, the ARB and the droplink after 1yr :scare:

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

See the normal NS arm for comparison

IMG_1564.jpg

Will need to PM Zmanalex ;) or just get the camber/toe arms and bushes from Adam after the new year celebrations.

Happy New year to everyone here and your families. :clap: