Laptop/notebook/tablet question

Lincolnbaggie

Want to buy one for someone for Xmas but don't know much about them so after some advice.

Basically it will be used for e-mailing and the internet via wi-fi and I want to connect it to a small hi-fi for playing music via "aux in" phono cables. That's about it. Don't need phone calls or a data contract.

Want it to be small (though bigger than my iPhone) and thought a tablet would be nice, but am I better with a proper small notebook/laptop such as the Dell Mini 10 or similar.

Anyone got a tablet or a small notebook? The only thing I'm really concerned about is getting an output for music via phono cables as I'm not sure you can do this with these wee things.

what like a headphone socket? if you have an speaker with an aux, most of the time you can just plug it into the headphone socket - if thats what you mean :blush::wacko:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/acer-aspire-one-d255-black-07706831-pdt.html

This is a good one, my friend has this - it depends how much you want to spend really - the only little thing is that it only has 1gb memory, but if its only for email and internet then that should be fine.

Here is another alternative: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/dell-inspi ... 0-pdt.html

The Asus Eee PC 1015P claims a battery life of 11 hours.

I assume Windows 7 starter is fine for most normal computing needs. I think I prefer a netbook to a tablet looking at all the options.

(And, yes, I can just connect the headphone socket to an amp with no problem :blush: )

I have one of the ASUS E PC's. Got to say it's superb. About £260 off Amazon. Battery lasts a genuine 8 hours. (with screen not on full brightness) It weighs next to nothing and is basically a fully loaded laptop, but without the DVD drive. I hardly use my fancy Sony Vaio at all now.

There are some with special cases available too. I went for CF :teeth:

mate i have a ipad and its the dogs swingers, only let down is the cost and lack of software however the app store can sort that out! and i also think they may be bringing a little smaller one out, on a good point you can get 4% off apple stuff using quidco.com

+1

I usually hate apple products, but my iPad is soooooo good. I use it everyday. Surfing and music playback are a dream. Made so easy. Only problem is no flash!!!!!!!!

Pricey tho!