Help, no power to indicators, & speedo!!!

rickya

Got back from a 3 week holiday around India, lovely time, especially Goa! Got in the car today & I have no power to all to all indicators & speedo in dash not working & odometer. Also digital speedo is not increasing in speed either!!! :scare::thumbdown::yuck: & no beeping sound when you leave lights on after ignition of. Everyhting else seems to be fine including headlights.

I havent checked the fuses yet as it is dark, but the speedo cant be disconnected from a fuse.

ps mine is an import & has been fine for the last 6 months since purchase, could this have something to do with the conversion from km to mph i.e some wire has come lose??

Please any suggestions :headhurt:

was your battery flat when you got back?... try disconnecting battery and reconnecting... sometimes clears electrical gremlins... chip for conversion is at rear of speedo head, you will have to remove speedo assy completely to get at it to check connections..I would try battery dissconnect first.. :thumbs:

Sorry chaps have been very busy at work & just bought a flat so no time for forum :headhurt::scare:

But managed to sort out problem following afternoon at work. It was indeed a blown fuse. This however means that anyone buying a second hand Z should be wary as by simply pulling out a fuse you can stop the odometer! (though you do also lose your speedo & indicators, but a crook could easily have a switch connected to the fuse to turn on power when you need to indicate). Food for thought...

I'm just happy it wasn't anything major. PS thanks chaps for all advice & help :yahoo:

• 1 month later...

I now have a similar issue.

Yesterday, the interior lights seemed a bit dull - though nothing of it though.

Today, come to car after work and the interior light do not work at all. Also, neither does the boot light, indicators markers on the cluster, indicator sound, lights on beep/buzzer.

Hopefully only a fuse.

Any advice as to which fuse and where?

It's not a fuse I don't think (although not checked 'em all yet) :(:(

Some kind of short somewhere I think. What usually happens, is that if a short is detected by the IPDM (Inteligent power/fuse box) it will shut down the applicable power o/p stages to avoid damage. Every Xmins, it will try and operate the o/p again to see if the fault has gone and if so, the module will return to normal operation.

I think I have an issue like this, as on my drive home today, the interior light came on, all on its own, for about 3 secs. It did this 3/4 times in my 25 minute journey. So I guess there is probably a major issue/short somewhere and it keeps testing the o/p.

Bugger springs to mind, as the warranty ran out 19 days ago!

Any ideas anyone?? anyonme else had a similar problem?

I'm going to try a module reset tomorrow to see if that helps (i.e. battery disconnect).

Surely the car would still register what the distance covered was and the fuse is simply for the display of that number? ie if you took the fuse out, drove 20 miles and put it back in it would be 20 miles greater?? :wacko:

Nah it doesn't :scare: Mainly as it is a digi odometer not mechanical one.