Strange AT (manual mode) changes after CB exhaust?

chippy

I'll ask this in case anyone (Chris?) has noticed the same after fitting an exhaust, or can explain it.

With the OEM exhuast on, manual mode (paddles) was a PITA for general driving about - a bit jerky when changing gear at lowish revs, but great when giving it some beans.

Since changing the exhuast, I've noticed that the jerkyness seems to have more or less disappeared and it's actually fine all the time now, even a low speed town driving.

Maybe there's an explaination? Anyone else noticed? :blink:

I'll have a test drive tomorrow, I dont tend to drive around in manual mode unless being spirited ;) Cant say I noticed any real change though. But yes, it is jerky in manual mode at normal driving speeds. Its because the torque converter locks up so quickly and can do so from as low as 1.5k RPM. Obviously in manual mode the ECU speeds up the rate of lock compared to full auto mode where it might allow the torque converter to be unlocked longer to allow for smoother changes

OK so went for a quick drive yesterday, and I think you are correct, the changes to seem to be smoother now that I have intake and exhaust, it doesnt seem to be anywhere near as jerky as before. Also makes a big difference if the engine and gearbox are warm.