Fitting AVIC F500-BT to Bose system

cb350

I've got a Pioneer AVIC F500-BT from my old car that I'd like to put into the 350Z. The F500 is a bit different to the rest of the AVIC range in that it is a thin unit designed to be docked onto suction cup attached to the window. It then has its own amp which allows it to take the feed from the existing car stereo and marry the two units together.

I'd like to do away with the Pioneer amp as it isn't that good anyway - this should be fine as the F500 has a standard line-out on it.

So, what I want to do is:

1) Fit the F500-BT into the cubby hole where the satnav would be (I don't have satnav currently)

2) Feed the audio to the Bose system in my car from the line out.

To get the audio to the Bose, I know there's the FM transmitter option, also the option to solder onto the internals of the tape deck. Ideally I want the best quality sound possible, but I don't really want to mess with the internals of the Bose system. So, what about the iPod controller? I understand this should be compatible with the Bose system:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1429

So, could I buy one of these, and use the aux-in function? That way I guess I'd also get iPod support, which would be a bonus!

Are there any fitters who could help install this sort of setup? I'm pretty good with electronics and radios, etc, but I really don't want to go delving into pulling the dash apart and trying to get the F500-BT to fit properly by myself. I've done that enough times in the past with cars and it's never any fun. I'd happily pay for some help :)

Chris.

have a search on here for avic F500 as i had on ein my car that i had fitted.

I did have a search but only came up with a few posts - do you have any photos showing it fitted? The main problem I have is I'm not sure how I'm going to go about actually fitting it inside the cubby.

fitted pics with my old JVC unit

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=35903&hilit=pioneer+avic+f500bt

more fitted pics, this time a review and focus specific to the f500

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33501&hilit=pioneer+avic+f500bt

Thanks! Cool, so from reading those threads, it sounds like with a bit of modification it should be possible to fit the unit fully inside the cubby - almost OEM-like?

Chris.

Has Biscuit already explained all here :lol::thumbs: If you need any free advice call me as I have PM'd you my Bat Phone number :thumbs:

Getting there I think! I don't seem to have your PM though. Ideally I want to actually mount the Pioneer unit inside the cubby so it looks OEM (or as near to as possible).. but I think the only thing I still don't know about is this ipod adapter. It seems to me, the best way to feed the audio to the HU would be to use the ipod adapter I linked to in my first post.

In my searches, I keep seeing photos of the backs of the Bose unit - some don't have the socket where the ipod adapter would plug in, whereas some do. Is there any way to know for sure if mine has this socket, or do I have to remove the head unit?

Btw, mine is a jap import GT-spec with the Bose 6CD changer.

• 2 weeks later...

just to update on this... I took my AVIC apart, I got the back off but there were a couple of screws under the main board holding the screen in, and it seemed almost like the board on top had been stuck down somehow. I'd removed all the screws I could, but I just couldn't get it apart. I think if anyone's thinking about going down this route, the best option is going to be to actually shave a few mm off the top and bottom of the case itself and just jam the thing in the cubby... even then, I'm not 100% sure the door would still shut.

Anyway, I think I'm either going to go for a nurrish system or build a carputer. I have a 7" touchscreen I'm not using, so it seems like a better option than potentially destroying this pioneer unit.

i worked out you could fit the f500 behind the satnav cubby (used to be able to get it from jdm performance for about 100.00, i bought 1 but in order to do it you woud have to cut the sides off the avic, i didn't have the balls for that esecially as there was the odd led in the way. it would then fit oem style. just depends on how brave your feeling

i worked out you could fit the f500 behind the satnav cubby (used to be able to get it from jdm performance for about 100.00, i bought 1 but in order to do it you woud have to cut the sides off the avic, i didn't have the balls for that esecially as there was the odd led in the way. it would then fit oem style. just depends on how brave your feeling

yeah, same here, but I didn't get as far as taking the cubby out.. just seems like too much hassle to modify the thing and I'm not sure I'd be able to cut it up without making a massive mess :)

yeah, same here, but I didn't get as far as taking the cubby out.. just seems like too much hassle to modify the thing and I'm not sure I'd be able to cut it up without making a massive mess :)

2 different types of cubby, normal one with a strage box, and a flip lid, and a second on edesigned for satnavs with a retractable cubby.

2 different types of cubby, normal one with a strage box, and a flip lid, and a second on edesigned for satnavs with a retractable cubby.

I think I have the satnav type, it has the retractable lid that goes back into the console... but no satnav in there, so I don't really know! It looks the same as the nurrish unit.

Looks to me like with my unit, I could cut a bit off the top and bottom of the AVIC and there is enough room side-to-side that it'll just fit in - but then the depth of the case will become a problem. I tried it out of the case, but even if I could get the case completely apart and out of the way, I'm then missing the power/audio/aerial connector which is in the back of the case, plus I'd have to work out what to do with the controls on the left of the unit. Just doesn't seem worth it trying to mess about with it so much.

I think your final solution was the best way to go with the F500, I just want to get a complete OEM look though and I think there are better and less complex ways of getting there.

the sat nav ones have no box on the back and give alot more space the also have a small frame to the front; all you had to do was trim 2 semi circles out of one side to allow for the f500 controls on the left. here are the pics i just fished out of my PB account

satnav cubby

Cubbymeasurements.jpg

P1000787.jpg

P1000788.jpg

P1000789.jpg

P1000790.jpg

P1000791.jpg

P1000792.jpg

box cubby

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

fitment issue in the satnav cubby

P1000644.jpg

lol, thanks for posting these. I may be thinking about trying this again now. My cubby front looks exactly like the satnav door at the top of your post, but it has a box section at the back of it. It looks to me like this section comes off though, so I think I might actually pull the cubby out and test a few things if the F500 will fit without modification to the actual unit.

Chris.

Please note that all the above refers to the 2002-06 models, 07 onwards have a different cubby and the satnav version doesn't get a door

06 also has the new style of funny. 55 was the last of the old style

my bad - should have put "facelifted interior" :D

Please note that all the above refers to the 2002-06 models, 07 onwards have a different cubby and the satnav version doesn't get a door

06 also has the new style of funny. 55 was the last of the old style

my bad - should have put "facelifted interior" :D

06 was the last of the old style but the facelift also came in 06 as well. think the change over was on the 56 plate.

i had 2006 with the pre facelift interior ;)

yours would have been the last of the original 276ps engine then?

it was the 300ps models that came with it. Mines is facelift 300ps july 2006

just re-read my post and i really hate the iphone predictive text. I wrote cubby and it changed it to funny wtf :doh: