Replacing front brake pads and disks

get12

Just got a quote off Guy from Opie Oils and he can do Brembo drilled front discs (2) for £259.

Incidentally, he can do an awesome price on Amsoil 5w30 Oil - £38.99 for 5 litres! I got mine coming with oil filter (4.99) on Friday :D

G

You do NOT neede discs eveytime you change pads. Thats a common falicy. Get yourself a set Of DS2500's (95 quid for a pair) If you want to upgrade discs dont get drilled as they crack easlily. Get slotted. And if you are up grading Performance Friction are the kiddies!!!!

picture-1.jpg

You do NOT neede discs eveytime you change pads. Thats a common falicy. Get yourself a set Of DS2500's (95 quid for a pair) If you want to upgrade discs dont get drilled as they crack easlily. Get slotted. And if you are up grading Performance Friction are the kiddies!!!!

picture-1.jpg

I need to change the discs though as I have picked up some residue on them or something which makes the steering wheel vibrate when braking.

picture-1.jpg

that's another common falicy as you call it. I know of slotted which cracked as easily as drilled. In extreme conditions (track days etc) all types of disks CAN crack...

Nice 2 piece disks in the pic. Ugly wheels though

Thats called pad pickup. It doesnt require a disc chane it will drive itself off. When you change the pads just clean the shoes, and it will go away. Not needing a disc.

Are you sure Dash-you saying the pick-up is on the pads or the shoe but the disc is clean? What is the shoe?? :blush:

cheers

Guest prescience

I agree with Dash, it is really unlikely that the discs were warped, there is a good link somewhere which discusses this - I'll try and find it.

The pick-up is uneven transferrence of brake pad material from pad to disc

My tip would be to use a fine grade wet and dry on the surface of the disc to scrub it slightly and then re-try :)

Article ......

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_wa ... disk.shtml

picture-1.jpg

that's another common falicy as you call it. I know of slotted which cracked as easily as drilled. In extreme conditions (track days etc) all types of disks CAN crack...

Nice 2 piece disks in the pic. Ugly wheels though

I meant Fallacy (forgive my spelling)

In all the years of taking cars on circuits Ive never known a slotted to crack although that is not to say its impossible, however due to the complete hole that is drilled in a disc it can have greater effect on the disc than the possible crack that might occur in a partly slotted disk.

Those Discs are Performance Friction Discs. Used by alot of the big players in GT racing.

Having done a little more research on this I have not found anywhere that states that cracking is possible on a slotted disc? Also slotted discs do not disturb the airflow of the ventilated disc (whereas drilled does) and slotted prevents vitrification of the disc surfaces.

I agree with Dash, it is really unlikely that the discs were warped, there is a good link somewhere which discusses this - I'll try and find it.

The pick-up is uneven transferrence of brake pad material from pad to disc

My tip would be to use a fine grade wet and dry on the surface of the disc to scrub it slightly and then re-try :)

Article ......

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_wa ... disk.shtml

Cheers for that-so it looks like I need some wet and dry and some decent semi-metalic brake pads - any recommendations (and nothing OTT!)?

Ferodo DS2500's from Bigphil on other site - £85 + £6 delivery :yahoo:

my350z_20060306_crackedrotor.jpg

I see what you mean although it looks like they were blanks and then slotted? All the slotted Discs I have had were never cut at the edge. Is this a build defect? But as you rightly point out is is clearly cracked. Not impressed by the overal slotting if they have cut the edges! Never seen that before and I would almost go as far as to ay that the uneven heat dissapation due to one edge of the slot bing open ended and the oposite edge being encased probably caused it to crack! (as one edge would be allowed to expand at a quicker rate than the other)

Black Diamond btw....

I hope they replaced it as that cracked slot looks like an error in cutting (that is without seeing the whole pattern of the disc) Not exactly a motorsport proven company though.(jusdging by their website I see they mostly support road cars) Admitedly most of the stuff I have used is Pagid,Brembo, Willwood, AP Racing, Performance Friction et al.

my350z_20060306_crackedrotor.jpg

I see what you mean although it looks like they were blanks and then slotted? All the slotted Discs I have had were never cut at the edge. Is this a build defect? But as you rightly point out is is clearly cracked. Not impressed by the overal slotting if they have cut the edges! Never seen that before and I would almost go as far as to ay that the uneven heat dissapation due to one edge of the slot bing open ended and the oposite edge being encased probably caused it to crack! (as one edge would be allowed to expand at a quicker rate than the other)

Hang about you havent been playing in photoshop have you ( B) ) its just there seems to be a wite pixel in the image ? ;):D

Cheers for that-so it looks like I need some wet and dry and some decent semi-metalic brake pads - any recommendations (and nothing OTT!)?

I think Ds2500's are semi metalic? Or is that the 3000's?

That'll be ferrodo's then-cheers for the advice all :thumbs:

Dash stop accusing with no proof whatesoever.... can't you see where the image is hosted? Slotted disks can crack as much as drilled.

I can't even use photoshop :rolleyes:

PS Black Diamond were hyped a while a go as great quality on the OC btw ;)

Thanks for that