wanting a bit too much?

Androo

Hey there guys, sorry to plonk us another thread asking for advice but I've been lookingand looking but can't find what I'm after or unsure but you guys are the wizards!

Basically I am looking to upgrade the ice, a spentjw have non se stereo, with no sub. Ho not worried about losing steering wheel controls etc but I think but I'm looking to do It as cheap as possible. Don't mind second hand as long as it works, but can anyone recommend me;

Speakers that fit ho front and back with no modification

Sub that I can fit in the spot behind the drivers seat?

Head unit

I should say, I'm not after massive so of or competition grade quality, just a cheap good midrange improvement to whats there now, with a bit of punch.

Thanks guys

Hey there guys, sorry to plonk us another thread asking for advice but I've been lookingand looking but can't find what I'm after or unsure but you guys are the wizards!

Basically I am looking to upgrade the ice, a spentjw have non se stereo, with no sub. Ho not worried about losing steering wheel controls etc but I think but I'm looking to do It as cheap as possible. Don't mind second hand as long as it works, but can anyone recommend me;

Speakers that fit ho front and back with no modification

Sub that I can fit in the spot behind the drivers seat?

Head unit

I should say, I'm not after massive so of or competition grade quality, just a cheap good midrange improvement to whats there now, with a bit of punch.

Thanks guys

I think you'll find it very difficult keeping the oem bose amp as it has 2 ohm speakers. I'm not sure what speakers have that impedance?

Best upgrade excluding changing the amp out/speakers/custom sub build, is just changing the head unit as mentioned.

For the fronts go for 6.5" comps (separate woofer and tweeter). Get 6.5" coaxs (woofer and tweeter built in). You might need mdf rings for the speakers to sit properly on the front.

In regards to a sub get a 8" or 10" sub made for small boxes. 300rms is loads for a small box also. How much is not slot though? Get on TA and look at the for sale. I have always bought 98% of my stuff on there.

When I did mine, I really couldn't be arsed to change the wiring ( although I knew I should have) but the sound I get from the HU is greatly improved. I think the sub works ok. There is a lot of bass.

Keep checking on eBay but for a double din you will be looking at at least 350 fitted in the car. As u will need the adapters and the fascia plate.

I was very lucky in getting my HU off the forum for quite cheap and getting the adapters for a good price. If it weren't for the forum I would have paid about 350 for the HU and 50 for the loom adapters so all in fitted 450.

Just keep your eyes peeled on eBay as there are always bargains. Also a single Din unit would be much cheaper.

I have a Pioneer F900bt, 2x Hertz comp speakers, 2 x Hertz Coax speakers, 4way JL Audio 4way Amp, new wiring all round. I have kept the Bose Sub + Amp for now as it has cost me close to £1,500 including fitting already :surrender:

Sounds unbelievable good compared to the standard Bose or even a new HU with the Bose...

I am sure there was someone from Hull who was selling a sub enclosure that he had made... was a while back but I dont think he sold it, might be a good starting point :thumbs:

if you are on a budget then just get a single din and just the front speakers, a Zed is so small you could live without the rears until you can get some...

Nice one, thanks guys. Guess ill have to get a sub box made up?

Not a lot is definitely a single din for me then, I just can't justify spending almost 1k for a full setup. Just a shame the stock system is so poor. Like, terrible

I think what some people have done is just pad in the area where the rear sub goes in the gt model and use the whole enclosure without fabbing a box?

I don't see why you'd get the rear speakers done personally, just a 2 channel amp and the 2 front speakers and leave it without a sub until you can do that. But then again, imho decent speakers don't need a sub separate.

I'm tempted by the hertz mlk165's but they're too deep for the doors I think :bang:

Great, thanks guys.

I think the plan for now will be:

Decent Single Din Headunit, (always loved alpine) and front speakers.

Previously ive always focused on the fronts, but with the zed having the rears so close to your head - made me think twice...

Think i will leave the sub for now... £1500 is a bit rich for me at the moment!! (for sound, me personally i just cant justify it)

Next Question: :lol: Are there any decent speakers out there that will just sit nicely into the existing housing on the front door, without the need of MDF supports, re-cutting, etc and wont interfer with the window system? Ie straight in bobs your mothers brother and all that....

thanks guys!

Not a lot is definitely a single din for me then, I just can't justify spending almost 1k for a full setup. Just a shame the stock system is so poor. Like, terrible

I think what some people have done is just pad in the area where the rear sub goes in the gt model and use the whole enclosure without fabbing a box?

I don't see why you'd get the rear speakers done personally, just a 2 channel amp and the 2 front speakers and leave it without a sub until you can do that. But then again, imho decent speakers don't need a sub separate.

I'm tempted by the hertz mlk165's but they're too deep for the doors I think :bang:

I have hertz hsk 165's front and back :cloud9:

Are the mlk's that much deeper?

where did you fit the seperate tweeter in the rear?

Apparently they've got a mounting depth of 80mm and I think the max you can use is 67mm? Hmm, hsk's are 69mm though.

I think the HSK's are 75mm ;)

Says 69 here :p

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Doc/Hert ... HSK165.pdf

Not sure which depth figures to take :shrug:

HKS Total Depth = 79

MKS Total Depth = 84

Anyway the HKS fit :thumbs: I bought them from another member so I knew that already

I'm hoping it's the mounting depth for the woofer listed there. I mean, I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to be able to fit the mlk 165's in the door, would be much cheaper than the alternatives and they do look really good :headhurt:

What have you got the hks's hooked up to?