HKS Turbo kit

TDI

Injectors and FCON extra to buy as well.

Plus fitting, plus VAT.

Seems strange why they don't include them as they are needed :wacko:

The FCON, pump and additional injectors were included in their supercharger kit.

Perhaps it's to allow people to choose their own solutions?

:scare: expensive as expected...

the single turbo adds 65hp on a stock engine, wtf? £4.5k+ vat +install, are we MAD? :ohmy:

I l ike the idea of the additional 100hp though, with internals B)

Still i think way too expensive, also considering the extra stuff you have to buy to have a complete kit :scare:

the single turbo adds 65hp on a stock engine, wtf? £4.5k+ vat +install, are we MAD? :ohmy:

Thats a bit too simplistic reasoning my friend :teeth:

You should not compare peak horsepower. We should have the dyno graphs of the standard and turbo'd car. Usually a turbo adds heaps of torque in the mid-range, and not so much in the upper range of the revs.

Stupid example:

My TT when stock gave 180hp

When they modified the ecu it went to 210hp, maybe a bit less, so in the end the remap added "only" 30hp.

But when looking at the torque curve, in the mid of the rev-range (around 3000rpm) i had 340Nm of torque, compared to 235Nm of torque original! And that DOES make a big difference when driving. So to make a good judgement they should include the torque-graphs of before/after, instead of just showing hp figures (instead of max-torque and the rpm it reaches this, which is much more important)

fair enough, but being a single turbo, it's already prone to even more lag than a Twin setup, right?

I'd love to see some graphs for this setup, and see when the extra torque kicks in (ie @ what revs).

Still, 65hp peak increase is still a bit meagre imo

fair enough, but being a single turbo, it's already prone to even more lag than a Twin setup, right?

Depends on the size of the turbo indeed. If you have 100+hp added with a single turbo, there definatly will be lots of lag.

I'd love to see some graphs for this setup, and see when the extra torque kicks in (ie @ what revs).

Same here

Still, 65hp peak increase is still a bit meagre imo

As I said, depends on the torque graph, if its 65hp more at 6200 rpm, but 100 more at 4000 rpm it will be noticable big time. Peak figures are only useful when bragging in your local pub :p

It may be worth noting that the turbocharger itself is capable of supporting 480hp.

We are sensitive to clients varying priorities, but we generally find that the primary considerations are the torque delivery characteristics and the reliability, rather than the power.

Turbo capacity and kit capacity are a different thing though. The APS turbo's can support 800hp of airflow, but the kit itself can't support that.

Is that definitely kit capacity?

I mentioned the 480hp as being the turbocharger capability - not the supporting hardware.

We don't have any more technical data to hand at the moment, but the intercooler "looks" capable of supporting 480hp too.

The APS kit looks like a nice peice of kit too. I wonder what the idea is behind oversizing the turbocharger beyond the kit capabilities and most peoples requirements?

Echo above - sorry Mark :blush:

This kit is VERY expensive IMO and if HKS wishes to focus on other than peak BHp, it should do so ;)

That's OK Dorian, I'm not a spokesperson for HKS - I was just letting you guys know that it's available for anyone that's interested :)

When I mentioned the torque/reliability characteristics, I was speaking about what we have found our customers priorities to be - not those of HKS - sorry for any confusion :blush:

It may be worth noting that the turbocharger itself is capable of supporting 480hp.

We are sensitive to clients varying priorities, but we generally find that the primary considerations are the torque delivery characteristics and the reliability, rather than the power.

So if you wanted to run 400 bhp and 400 ftlbs of torque, other than the kit, the injectors and the ecu, what else would you need and would the stock engine support it with out going bang?

So if you wanted to run 400 bhp and 400 ftlbs of torque, other than the kit, the injectors and the ecu, what else would you need and would the stock engine support it with out going bang?

I doubt very much whether the standard engine would last very long, especially if high revs are used consistantly.

Guest prescience

Mark,

What's the beef with the HKS S/C - I think there were some problems a while back, were they solved or is it superseded by turbo anyway?

I agree having seen recent UK issues, even 400 is pushing it with stock internals. Evidence from the States is less relevant as more UK usage is built up

HKS and Rotrex have fallen out.... there are rumours that HKS "could" do their own SC system copying the Rotrex, but sources in Rotrex said they would sue straight away.

That's what I heard, but is was 2nd or 3rd hand information so I don't know how reliable it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Crumbs!

I would ask the J-Tuner boys but... oh dear, the mag's folded.

PS - this unit looks nice. Strange marketing pitch though - going for a tuner customer by not including all parts for a turn-key solution, but making it the sort of kit that provides reliability and day-to-day driveability, which isn't always a tuner's priorities.

It'll have a niche though, especially as there's not a wealth of proven single turbo kits in the UK. Good luck with it!